Pelham Bay Park Improvements – Bronx NY

Pelham Bay Park, the largest in the city of New York (three times the size of Central Park), sits on Pelham Bay in the northeast corner of The Bronx. It was established in 1888, when The Bronx was still separate… read more

Prince William Forest Park – Triangle VA

Cabin group at Prince William Forest Park - Triangle VA

Prince William Forest Park was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), with help from skilled workers of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), from 1935 to 1942.  It was then known as Chopawamsic Recreation Demonstration Area (the name was changed… read more

Reinhardt Redwood Regional Park Improvements – Oakland CA

The East Bay Regional Parks District (EBRPD) was formed in 1934 and acquired land for parks from the East Bay Municipal Water District in 1936.  The first parks were Tilden, Sibley, Temescal and Redwood in the East Bay Hills behind… read more

Richardson Grove State Park Development – Garberville CA

Redwood next to Visitors Center, Richardson Grove State Park - Garberville CA

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made several improvements to Richardson Grove State Park during the period 1933-40.  Richardson Grove was one of the original Old Growth redwood groves purchased by the Save the Redwoods League in the early 20th century… read more

Riverview Park Development – Pittsburgh PA

“In 1941, WPA workers built the visitors’ center, a fountain and stone entrance walls at Riverview Park on the North Side, a project spearheaded by Griswold. Out-of-work Pittsburghers also made drainage repairs, paved roads and improved entrances in Riverview Park,… read more

Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary – Arlington VA

In 1934-35, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) helped develop Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary out of the marshes along the south shore of the Potomac River. Roaches Run  is located at the north end of National Airport, which was developed a… read more

Roads and Trails – Petrified Forest National Park AZ

Support wall along Rainbow Forest trail - Petrified Forest National Park AZ

A major upgrade of facilities at the Petrified Forest National Monument (now National Park) was undertaken by the New Deal in the 1930s.  The work was carried out from 1933 to 1940 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), under the… read more

Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway Completion – Washington DC

The planning and construction of the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway largely predates the New Deal, but it was only completed in 1933-36 with help from the National Park Service (NPS), Civil Works Administration (CWA), Public Works Administration (PWA), Works… read more

Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway: Shoreham Hill Bridge – Washington DC

The Shoreham Hill bridge was constructed in 1938 as part of the completion of the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway project of the 1930s.  It lies just south of the large Connecticut and Massachusetts Avenue bridges.  It is the third… read more

Rock Creek Park: Improvements – Washington DC

Footbridge over Rock Creek, Rock Creek Park - Washington DC

The New Deal contributed substantially to the betterment of Rock Creek Park in the 1930s.  This involved a number of federal agencies. Rock Creek Park is a key greenway in the District of Columbia and, at 1750 acres, is almost… read more

Shenipsit State Forest – Stafford CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted substantial work at Shenipsit State Forest in northern Connecticut. Work was undertaken by Camp Conner, housing Company #1192, which operated from Sept. 5, 1935 to May 23, 1941. Projects, which include those given separate… read more

Silver Falls State Park – Silverton OR

South Falls in Silver Falls State Park with hiking trail behind the falls

Silver Falls State Park was created by the New Deal programs in the 1930s and transferred to the State of Oregon for its park system in 1947. Land for the park was purchased by the federal Resettlement Administration (RA) c… read more

Squantz Pond State Park – New Fairfield CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Hook was stationed at Squantz Pond State Park from May 24, 1933 to Oct. 30, 1935. Projects undertaken at the park included: foot trails along Squantz Pond construction of the Squantz Pond entrance road recreation… read more

Timpanogos Cave National Monument: Stone Bridge and River Walls – Mount Timpanogos UT

Stone bridge leading to Superintendent's residence, Timpanogos Cave NM - Mt Timpanogos UT

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) joined the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in making improvements to Timpanogos Cave National Monument in the 1930s. They worked under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS). A notable contribution of the WPA was… read more

Tioga Road – Yosemite National Park CA

Tioga Road near Tenaya Lake - Yosemite National Park CA

New Deal agencies realigned and reconstructed 47 miles of the Tioga road from Crane Flat to Tioga Pass over the years 1933 to 1943.  They were not able, however, to complete the road down from Tioga Pass to Lee Vining… read more