Seney National Wildlife Refuge – Seney MI

Seney National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1935 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt for the protection of migratory birds and other wildlife. It began under the Bureau of Biological Survey, which morphed into the US Fish & Wildlife Service in… read more

Shenipsit State Forest – Stafford CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted substantial work at Shenipsit State Forest in northern Connecticut. Work was undertaken by Camp Conner, housing Company #1192, which operated from Sept. 5, 1935 to May 23, 1941. Projects, which include those given separate… read more

Silver Falls State Park – Silverton OR

South Falls in Silver Falls State Park with hiking trail behind the falls, Silverton OR

Although the State’s initial acquisition of land for the park occurred in 1931, the early development of Silver Falls State Park can be credited to several of the New Deal programs. A significant portion of the land for the park… read more

Silver Falls State Park: Silver Creek Youth Camp (former Silver Creek Recreation Development Area) – Silverton OR

Bear Creek Cottage Unit at Silver Creek Youth Camp, Silverton OR

The early development of Silver Falls State Park can be credited to several of the New Deal programs. A significant portion of the land for the park was purchased by the federal Resettlement Administration (RA) c. 1935, and developed for… read more

Squantz Pond State Park – New Fairfield CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Hook was stationed at Squantz Pond State Park from May 24, 1933 to Oct. 30, 1935. Projects undertaken at the park included: foot trails along Squantz Pond construction of the Squantz Pond entrance road recreation… read more

St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge – Tallahassee FL

“St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge Lighthouse”

Between 1934 and 1940, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge (then called the St. Marks Migratory Bird Refuge) located about twenty-five miles away from Tallahassee FL. Overseen by the U.S. Biological Survey, the work… read more

Timpanogos Cave National Monument: Stone Bridge and River Walls – Mount Timpanogos UT

Stone bridge leading to Superintendent's residence, Timpanogos Cave NM - Mt Timpanogos UT

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) joined the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in making improvements to Timpanogos Cave National Monument in the 1930s. They worked under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS). A notable contribution of the WPA was… read more

Tioga Road – Yosemite National Park CA

Tioga Road near Tenaya Lake - Yosemite National Park CA

New Deal agencies realigned and reconstructed 47 miles of the Tioga road from Crane Flat to Tioga Pass over the years 1933 to 1943.  They were not able, however, to complete the road down from Tioga Pass to Lee Vining… read more

Tucson Mountain Park: Improvements – Tucson AZ

Tucson Mountain Park, created in 1929, was opened to general recreation use in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), working with the Pima County parks agency.  The northern half of the original park was added to the Saguaro National… read more

University of Minnesota Cloquet Forestry Center – Cloquet MN

The UMN Cloquet Forestry Center (CFC) is the primary research and demonstration forest for the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, currently a research and outreach center (ROC) for the College of Food, Agricultural, and Natural Resource Sciences. The Cloquet Forestry Center… read more

Veterans Field – West Springfield MA

W.P.A. Bulletin, 1937: “[T]he Memorial Athletic Field in the rear of King’s Highway School is rapidly nearing completion. Last April the field was rather ugly, idle land. Now there is a quarter-mile cinder track, circling a seeded oval, portable bleachers,… read more

Waitt’s Mountain Park – Malden MA

“In the 1930’s the Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a series of improvements including the construction of the loop road around the summit [of Waitt’s Mount].” A 1937 WPA Bulletin reported: In 1934 Waitt’s Mount in Maiden looked like a… read more

Washington Monument Grounds Reconstruction – Washington DC

Washington Monument and Grounds - Washington DC

The Washington Monument grounds – the core area of the National Mall – was substantially altered and improved, including a major reconfiguration of the streets. The work was paid for by the Public Works Administration (PWA) from a fund of… read more

Wawona Road Completion – Yosemite National Park CA

Wawona Road with rock supporting wall - Yosemite National Park CA

New Deal agencies played a major role in the transformation of the narrow and dangerous Wawona wagon trail into a safe and comfortable route into Yosemite Valley. The route from the South Entrance to the Valley floor is 27 miles…. read more

Wildrose Summer Headquarters – Death Valley National Park CA

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was present in the newly-minted Death Valley National Monument  from 1933 to 1942.  As one of their many projects, the CCC ‘boys’ constructed a summer headquarters and residential area for the National Park Service at… read more