1 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 103
  • Citrus Bowl Stadium - Orlando FL
    "The stadium began life in 1936 as a modest 8,900-person venue, built as part of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal program in the Works Progress Administration...The Orlando Citrus Bowl -- then named Orlando Stadium -- was one of 116,000 buildings constructed in the program."   (https://www.themaneland.com) The stadium is still in use, though it has since been substantially refurbished.
  • City Beach - Plattsburgh NY
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) transformed what is now Plattsburgh's City Beach "from a small inadequate watering place to its present high state. The bath house was enlarged, board walk constructed, nearly a mile of sandy beach graded and cleared, diving floats installed and a refreshment stand and parking area constructed so that it is now possible to take care of more than 10,000 bathers at one time." (Plattsburgh Daily Press)
  • City Golf Course - Idabel OK
    The golf course was built in 1940, and is one of only two golf courses built by the Federal Works Progress Administration in Oklahoma. This a 160-acre, 18-hole course sits on the southeast edge of town and is currently leased to the Idabel Country Club.    
  • City Hall Landscaping and Parking Lot - Medford MA
    The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) landscaped the area surrounding Medford's new City Hall in 1937. WPA Bulletin: "A beautiful building in shoddy surroundings is like a beautiful woman in slatternly dress with unkempt hair. Extensive landscaping by WPA has beautified the surroundings of Medford's $500,000 city hall. ... Green grass is growing where the old wooden Everett School (now razed) stood." Work also included the creation of a "bituminous-topped parking space capable of accommodating 300 motors."
  • City Hospital (former) Park - Boston MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor constructed a park at what was then known as the Boston City Hospital. WPA Bulletin: This new park in the rear of the Administration Building, Boston City Hospital, was laid out and planned by WPA engineers. Convalescent patients will benefit from these beautiful surroundings.
  • City Hospital Pools and Bathhouse - Buffalo NY
    A WPA photo (pictured) shows a bathhouse and two swimming pools built by the WPA for what was then the Buffalo City Hospital. The hospital was renamed the Edward J. Meyer Memorial Hospital in 1939, and has since been expanded into the Erie County Medical Center. Google images show that the bath house building and pools (now empty) are still standing. Their current function is unknown.
  • City Park - Anson TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) began work on the development of a city park, swimming pool, and golf course in January 1939. Bath houses, seats, wading pool, bandstand, rock veneer golf house with showers, and picnic tables of rock veneer and concrete were also constructed. The WPA provided a grant of approximately $45,000 and the city voted $12,000 in bonds to construct the swimming pool and municipal park. Engineer Cecil Hauk drew plans for the project. Frank H. Spicer of the WPA was in charge. The project was estimated to take ten months and initially employed 54 men. The park...
  • City Park - Bellville TX
    A social club formed by German immigrants called the Bellville Turnverein Gut Heil built a 12-sided social hall in 1897 on about 15 acres of land in Bellville, Texas. The City of Bellville purchased the land and pavilion in 1937. The city hosted a design competition among students from Texas A&M University to design a park. The Works Progress Adminstration assisted the city in updating the pavilion and building new facilities. The pavilion was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1996.
  • City Park - Darby MT
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a new city park for the small town of Darby, Montana in 1937-38. The park is next to the city hall and city museum on South Main Street.  It has been improved and well maintained over the years. On Google maps it is labeled as "Main City Park", but the sign at the park only says "City Park".  
  • City Park - Haskell TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) funded the construction of a city park in Haskell, Texas. A story published in the Abilene Reporter-News in 1937 provides details about the project: "WPA Builds City Park At Haskell HASKELL, Jan. 25 -- (AC)-- Completion was being made today of the city park and swimming pool constructed by the Works Progress Administration. The eight-acre park site has been grade, trees and shrubbery planted, the entire park enclosed with a native stone, hedge and wire fence. A swimming pool, bath house and amphitheater have been erected. Channel of a small stream has been opened and lined with rock and...
  • City Park - Hearne TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built park facilities in the Hearne City Park. The WPA contributed $44,000 for materials and labor, and the City of Hearne spent 22,000. First unit of the park completed was the swimming pool and bath house. (Bath house has the only WPA plaque). Also constructed was a rock entrance, a clubhouse, picnic tables and barbecue pits. There was a sunken garden (apparently now gone, as I didn't find it). They also built a nine-hole golf course with water lines to keep the grass watered. All the structures are built of native rock. The club house has...
  • City Park - Kilgore TX
    After the discovery of oil here in the 1930s, this site was transformed into a makeshift tent city by thousands of people displaced by a deepening national depression. In an effort to control growth, city officials chose this site as the focus of an ambitious public works program in 1934. The park project, which included extensive rock work, was influenced by the planning and foresight of other Federal "New Deal" projects underway in Kilgore at the time (Kilgore Public Library and Kilgore College Administration Building). The park project was finished about 1936.
  • City Park - La Junta CO
    "Constructed between 1933 and 1941, the park demonstrates the importance of federal relief programs in Colorado during the Great Depression. The Civil Works Administration project focused on drainage in the park, while the later Works Progress Administration projects involved extensive landscaping that included building the lake; planting trees and building drives; and constructing rustic stone walls, benches and buildings. La Junta City Park is the primary park for the community. Although the land was donated to the city in 1905, few improvements were made. The New Deal projects converted an underutilized and poorly drained park into a location for active...
  • City Park - Le Mars IA
    The WPA constructed numerous stone walls, buildings and picnic shelters in the park in 1936-1938.
  • City Park - Lexington OK
    "City Park is located on S.E. 1st Street, between E. Broadway and E. Catalpa. This is a long, narrow park, with a creek running through it. At the south end of the park is a lovely wood gazebo and a covered bridge. Playground equipment and a pavilion draw residents to the park for community activities. At the north end of the park, a low, native sandstone wall has been constructed on the west, north and east sides of the park. Construction of the park, and the stone walls was a WPA project, with allocated funds of $10,908 and was completed in...
  • City Park - Pueblo CO
    Multiple New Deal agencies collaborated in the development of Pueblo's City Park (and one of its primary components, the Pueblo Zoo). Stunning stone facilities and walls throughout the park are still in good condition. There are at least two WPA plaques located in the park: one at the entrance and one affixed to one of the stone buildings at the park's tennis court complex. The plaques state: ERECTED THROUGH THE COOPERATION OF FEDERAL STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS BY WORKS PROGRESS ADMINISTRATION DEDICATED TO THE ENRICHMENT OF HUMAN LIVES * A RECORD OF * * PERMANENT * * ACHIEVEMENT *
  • City Park - Wishek ND
    "The City of Wishek benefited from several WPA projects. The city park, community swimming pool, Wishek Civic Center, and many of the sidewalks in town were all built by WPA workers." (ndstudies.gov)
  • City Park and Amphitheater - Memphis TX
    The Works Progress Administration built a city park and amphitheater in Memphis TX. The amphitheater has seating for around 2000 people and excellent acoustics. The semi-circular concrete stand is perfectly paced to fit the contours of a high bluff it faces and serves equally well for singing events, plays, band concerts, and other entertainments. Picnic facilities included in the park project converted a tree lined park into a popular recreation center.
  • City Park and Pool - Portales NM
    The Portales City Park and swimming pool were constructed as New Deal projects, most likely by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
  • City Park Band Shell - Twin Falls ID
    The City Park Band Shell in Twin Falls, Idaho was constructed as a Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) project in 1934-1935, part of a larger program of civic improvements around the city of Twin Falls. The band shell is still in use.  Unfortunately, there is no acknowledgement of the role of the New Deal and local relief workers on or around the bandshell. There might be a plaque hidden under the ivy on the back of the structure, but the information sign in front makes it sounds as if the bandshell were built along with the park in the 1904. However,...
  • City Park Band Shell (demolished) - Concordia KS
    This WPA band shell in Concordia's City Park was razed in 1991 when it was deemed unsafe.
  • City Park Development - Grant NE
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted substantial development and improvement work at Grant City Park in Grant, Nebraska. "Among the benefits revealed by this inventory of accomplishments by WPA workers are the five-acre park constructed in Grant, the new playgrounds, five new tennis courts, new band shell, and four horseshoe courts and as well as an outdoor theatre."
  • City Park Fireman's Memorial Bandshell - Reading PA
    Reading, Pennsylvania's historic City Park Fireman's Memorial Bandshell was constructed during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. "The City Park Fireman's Memorial Bandshell was dedicated on Labor Day in 1939. The Bandshell, located at Hill Road & Constitution Blvd in Reading, is home to the Ashley for the Arts Bandshell Concert Series held annually. In 2011 the Bandshell was renovated at a cost of a about one million dollars." PWA Docket No. X2137 Prior to the bandshells construction, a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project was undertaken, to raze "the front of the old Berks jail and...
  • City Park Improvements - New Orleans LA
    The Wikipedia entry on City Park provides a good summary of park history, including the role of the WPA in making improvements to the park: "City Park, a 1,300 acre (5.3 km²) public park in New Orleans, Louisiana, is the 6th-largest and 7th-most-visited urban public park in the United States. City Park is approximately 50% larger than Central Park in New York City, the municipal park recognized by Americans nationwide as the archetypal urban greenspace... City Park was established in the mid-19th century on land fronting Metairie Road (now City Park Avenue), along the remains of Bayou Metairie, a former distributary of the...
  • City Park Swimming Pool (demolished) and Pool House (former) - Concordia KS
    The WPA pool and building pictured here was voted in in 1936 and completed in 1939.  The pool was closed and filled in in the 1970's. There is now a basketball court where part of the pool was.  The pool house building is now a shelter house at City Park.
  • City Park Wall - Antioch CA
    WPA Project No. 65-3-2426, App. Date 11-4-35, $780, "Construction of rock wall around Antioch City Park." WPA Project No. 65-3-2426, App. Date 2-8-36, $430, "Const. of rock wall with reinforced concrete foundations. (Additional)" From the Google street view, it looks as if the wall is still in good condition. Some attention to design seems to have been the designers goal. A seating bench is incorporated into the southwest corner, and a long alcove for a flower bed is in the north section.
  • City Pool - Mt. Carmel IL
    This beautiful circular pool was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938.
  • City Pool - Winter Garden FL
    The accompanying photo was used on p. 50 of "All Aboard! A Journey Through Historic Winter Garden 1880-1950," written by The Winter Garden Heritage Foundation. The photograph portrays the Winter Garden City Pool at 1, Surprise Drive, Winter Garden. This popular facility was one of the WPA projects made possible through the efforts of Mayor George Walker. The pool was originally filled by a natural artesian well. The pool is still in use and is now called Farnsworth Pool.
  • City Rocks CCC Camp - Coeur D'Alene ID
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a camp near Coeur D'Alene in Idaho. The enclosed images showing CCC enrollees at the camp were provided to the Living New Deal by Nancy Calle. Her father, John Griffith Calle, pictured in several of the images, was enrolled in the CCC and worked at the City Rocks Camp in 1935.
  • City Terrace Park - Los Angeles CA
    City Terrace Park was planned in 1931 but the park space wasn't completed until 1933, when crews of workers from the Works Progress Administration* finished cutting into three and a half acres of rugged hillside, creating terrace space for the new city park. * While sources cite the WPA, the agency was not established until 1935. 1933 efforts may have been undertaken by a predecessor agency, the Civil Works Administration (CWA). Construction crews terracing designated park land. Arizona red sandstone from the demolition of the former Los Angeles County Courthouse (1891-1936) was re-used in construction of park features. Original 1931 park plans as...
  • Civic Auditorium - Kingsport TN
    Originally built as the city's Civic Auditorium and Armory. It was built with assistance from the PWA in 1938-1940. It now houses the Administrative Offices and Athletics Office of Kingsport Parks and Recreation: "Planning began in the autumn of 1938 during the mayoralty of W.L. Holyoke, ground was broken on 22 December, and the dedication occurred on 9 March 1940. With a seating capacity of 2,032 in the auditorium and with areas for the exclusive use of the 191st Field Artillery of the Tennessee National Guard, the building owed its existence to $125,000 from the city and a grant of $97,510...
  • Civic Center Fair Barn - Horton KS
    This Fair Barn/Civic Center in Horton, Kansas was constructed by the WPA in 1937-39. W.O. "Tutes" Thomas was the designer and head of construction. The building is still in use for municipal functions and celebrations.
  • Civic Center Landscaping - Duluth MN
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided labor for landscaping work at Duluth, Minnesota's Civic Center .
  • Civic Center Lily Pond - Gadsden AL
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration built a lily pond in the Civic Center in Downtown Gadsden, circa 1937.
  • Civic Centre Park Improvements - Livingston NJ
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook multiple projects in Livingston, New Jersey. "Among the local WPA projects are a sewing project for women, road building, the laying of water mains and the clearing of lands at the Civic Centre Park." Living New Deal believes the park in question to be that encompassed by Robert H. Harp Drive.
  • Civic League Park - San Angelo TX
    Civic League Park sits on land donated by Uriah Gilliam Taylor to the San Angelo Civic League in 1904. The San Angelo City Council accepted the property as a park in 1907, and Taylor signed the deed over to the city in 1911. During the Depression, Works Progress Administration laborers improved the park based on the designs of Albert Nealy Carlin, the city’s first superintendent of parks. These improvements include a bridge and the rock work around the park. Civic League Park is still in use and is the site of one of the world's foremost waterlily collections.
  • Civic Stadium - Eugene OR
    "Civic Stadium is an outdoor athletic stadium in Eugene, Oregon, owned by the Eugene School District. Civic Stadium, the vacant stadium located near East 20th Avenue and Willamette Street, adjacent to South Eugene High School, has a seating capacity of 6,800. The stadium was built in 1938 through a public-private partnership between the Eugene Area Chamber of Commerce, Eugene School District 4J and the federal Works Progress Administration; it has been owned by the Eugene School District since its construction."   (wikipedia)
  • Civil War Museum - Droop Mountain Battlefield State Park WV
    The Civilian Conservation Corps completed groundwork and remade the battlefield area into an outdoors recreation area. The museum is located in a former cabin and not built as a museum. In the 1970s it was broken into and many of the original items stolen—including some artifacts that were present at the battle. Photographed is the exterior of the house and a modern interior shot featuring now retired Park Superintendent Mike Smith. "At Droop Mountain Battlefield State Park, the Civil War museum is housed in a former rental cabin built ca. 1935 by the CCC."
  • Claremont Inn Reconstruction (demolished) - New York NY
    The Claremont Inn was first built in 1804 and was located along the Hudson River, just north of where Grant’s Tomb stands today until its demise in 1951. For years, a succession of aristocrats lived in the house, including Joseph Bonaparte, ex-King of Spain and Napoleon’s brother. In the 1840s it was converted into a “road house” and in the 1870s, the building was acquired by the City as part of Riverside Park. The inn’s heyday lasted until the 1920s, with visitors and shoppers stopping at the inn for expensive luncheons. With Prohibition, however, the Claremont’s popularity declined. Only in the...
  • Claremont Park - Bronx NY
    The 17-acre Claremont Park in the Bronx was extensively renovated and improved in 1940 by the Works Progress Administration. The renovated park opened on December 7, 1940. A press release from opening day describes WPA work in the park: "This park has been redesigned by the Department of Parks and constructed by the Work Projects Administration to provide wider year round usage for all ages and groups of citizens of the surrounding community. Besides three new children's playgrounds which were opened on September 14 of this year, the old playground at the East 170 Street end of the park has been...
1 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 103