The Blue Room is one of the original dining areas in the WPA Aquatic Park Bathhouse building, within the Aquatic Park NHL District. Original drawings refer to this circular room on the eastern side of the second level as “restaurant.”… read more
During the 1930s, Banneker Recreation Area was developed as part of a larger Capital Parks improvement program undertaken by the Public Works Administration (PWA), Civil Work Adminstration (CWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Notably, the CWA was… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the Beachland Park pool and bathhouse in West Hartford CT in 1936.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) reforested “20,000 acres of drifting sand hills and expanded Bessey Forest Nursery producing 30 million saplings for reforestation.” The CCC also “constructed a public campground and picnic area, shelter house, bath houses, and a swimming pool… read more
“Between 1935 and 1940, Massachusetts and the federal government, primarily using Works Project Administration funds, constructed 63 buildings (all but Buildings 102 and the old Williams Hospital have since been demolished) and two, 500-foot (150 m) wide turf runways at… read more
The creation of the Cedars of Lebanon State Park in Tennessee was a multifaceted joint project of the Resettlement Administration, the CCC, the forestry division, NPS and the WPA: “Project development began in the fall of 1935, with forestry personnel,… read more
Naperville’s Centennial Park beach received a bathhouse during the New Deal, which is still standing today: “In 1934, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed the bathhouse, built from limestone taken from the quarry at the facility’s western edge. The completed… read more
One-story, brick, H-shaped building with tile roof. This building was originally constructed by the Works Progress Administration as the swimming pool and bathhouse for Nashville’s Centennial Park. The swimming pool and bathhouse were closed during the Civil Rights movement as… read more
Between 1937 and 1939 the WPA made improvements to Chase Park in Seminole, Oklahoma. The improvements included the construction of a wading pool and bathhouse. The Oklahoma Historic Preservation Survey notes that “…The workers who built the bathhouse and pool… read more
The PWA built this pool outside Big Spring near the town’s eponymous spring. Between 2008 and 2011 the pool was demolished and redeveloped as a more modern water park. Based on satellite imagery from Google Earth, no visible traces remain,… read more
Construction of 50′ x 100′ pool, bleachers, and bath house with showers, toilets, dressing rooms, etc.
“This Olympic-size swimming pool and bathhouse complex opened on July 24, 1936. It was one of ten dedicated that year by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses (1888-1981). The project, funded by a special Works Progress Administration (WPA) grant of $10 million,… read more
“Crowley’s Ridge State Park is a 291-acre (118 ha) Arkansas state park in Greene County, Arkansas in the United States atop Crowley’s Ridge. Located on the former homesite of pioneer Benjamin Crowley, the park contains many excellent examples of the work… read more
Works Progress Administration built the Crystal Beach Pool and Bath House in Madison IN. The National Parks Service describes the history of the pool: “Madison’s Crystal Beach Swimming Pool and Bath House are two monuments of the WPA’s work in… read more
Between 1933 and 1939, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) provided labor for the construction of the Virginia Kendall Park Reserve, now Cuyahoga Valley National Park (est. 2000), in Peninsula, Ohio during the Great Depression. 530 acres of land willed and… read more