The federal Works Progress Administration undertook a $93,900 project starting in 1935 to modernize and otherwise improve several public (now-former) bath facilities in Brooklyn, NY. The public baths at 1752 Pitkin Ave. were constructed in 1903; the baths closed in… read more
CCC laborers completed the bathhouse in 1939. The bathhouse is located at the original Pokagon beach. The beach at this location was itself a CCC project.
CCC laborers completed the Potawatomi Inn bathhouse in 1935. The bathhouse is classified as Parks Rustic.
The Works Progress Administration built a Pool and Bathhouse in Weatherford OK. Contributor note: “As originally built in 1936, this was a flat-roofed brick building, with brick pilasters flanking the entrances. A bronze plaque on the bathhouse indicates the Weatherford Municipal… read more
A swimming pool and bathhouse at Pullen Park in Raleigh, North Carolina were constructed as part of a federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project during the Great Depression. (ncsu.edu) The current status of the facility is unknown to Living New… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided funding and labor for construction of what was then known as the Queen City Pool and Pool House at Queen City Park in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The WPA supplied $100,000 of the $125,000 total cost… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps built recreation facilities at the Robber’s Cave State Park. “Located four miles north of Wilburton on State Highway 2, Robbers Cave State Park, originally Latimer State Park (name changed in 1936), encompasses more than eight thousand… read more
Construction on the pool started in 1938 as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt`s Depression-era Works Progress Administration. The park district furnished the materials, and workers were bused in by the government. The pool, completed in 1940, is the last… read more
The WPA built a bathing pavilion at Scarborough Beach. The precise location of the structure, if it remains, is unclear.
The bath house, or beach pavilion, was a cooperative effort between CCC and WPA workers. The structure was left unfinished at the start of World War II. Park employees were able to complete the pavilion in 1942.
“Shannon Springs Park is a large recreational area, constructed also by the [Works Progress Administration] WPA. With its ponds, playground, sports areas,and amphitheater, it is the center of many activities throughout the year. The large Christmas Light display in December… read more
“During the Great Depression, laborers from the Works Progress Administration constructed a swimming pool and bathhouse in Sheridan Park, and the park hosted a WPA Toy Loan Center and WPA outdoor theatrical performances. Several years later, workers from the Civilian… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers worked together to build a bathhouse. The project spanned from 1933 till 1941. The project was abandoned by the New Deal agencies at the onset of World War II. The… read more
The lake was developed by the WPA from a commercial sandpit and has functioned as Sterling’s City Park since. A bathhouse and footbridge, plus stone, barrel-style entry markers, enhanced the setting. Notably, the 1955 movie Picnic featured Sterling Lake as… read more
The Sunset Pier was built on Venice Beach in 1921 as a typical entertainment pier with dancing hall that was very common on the beach at the time. After various bankruptcies and owners, “[t]he city took possession of the Sunset… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a swimming pool and bathhouse in Swenson Park in Spur TX. The pool was built between 1935 and 1937 and closed in 2009. A WPA marker in front of the bathhouse reads: “Works Progress… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a swimming pool and a bathhouse at the north side of Parkersburg City Park. The project was completed in June 1936. The Wood County Historical Society published 1937 excerpts from The Parkersburg News periodical, attesting to… read more
The Waymarking site for this park celebrates Federal Works Progress Administration’s (WPA) 1939 construction/ rock work in this city park. It says: “This park is located on rolling land, which shows off beautifully the WPA structures. An Historical Society write-up… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the elegant stone Beach House at Lake Temescal Park, now known as Temescal Regional Recreation Area, part of the East Bay Regional Parks District (EBRPD). When the EBRPD was created in 1934, the Civilian… read more
After the Public Works Administration (PWA) financed the construction of Lake Anza in Tilden Park by damming Wildcat Creek, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the Bath House and ancillary buildings, c 1940. This work was part of a major… read more
According to the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, “The CCC improved the nation’s natural and human resources and also created opportunities for the public to recreate and appreciate a healthy outdoor experience. At Tolland ‘Pinecone Johnnies’ built access roads,… read more
“In 1924 a group of prominent Los Angeles African Americans, led by actor and real estate developer Sidney P. Dones and including Norman O. Houston, Joe and Charlotta Bass, Hattie S. Baldwin among others, bought 1,000 acres in Santa Clarita… read more
“Wapato Park was the site of a major WPA [Works Progress Administration] work project. Sherman Ingalls, Metropolitan Park District Supervisor at Wapato directed the project and designed the park improvements. The WPA built bridges, boat and bathhouse, modern kitchen with… read more