Lake Taghkanic State Park – Ancram NY

NYSParks.com: “The park was donated to the State of New York in 1929 by Dr. McRa Livingston with the provision that the lake and park be named Lake Taghkanic. The lake had been previously known as Lake Charlott. In 1933… read more

Lake Wapello State Park – Drakesville IA

Construction on the man-made lake itself began in 1932 and was completed with help from the CCC: “In April of 1933, reforestation camps (Civilian Conservation Corps) were located in Iowa.  Camp #773, Camp Roosevelt Civilian Reforestation Army, was stationed at… read more

Legions Field – Bridgewater MA

Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor constructed numerous facilities at Bridgewater’s Legions Field. The facility was located at WPA Bulletin: WPA is completing construction of a Playground and Athletic Field, Bed- ford Street, Bridgewater. Work includes the building of a football… read more

Meshomasic State Forest – Portland CT

Meshomasic State Forest, the first such entity in all of New England, was improved and developed by the efforts of two C.C.C. camps: Camp Jenkins (C.C.C. Company #181), in operation from June 14, 1933 to Jan. 1, 1936; and Camp… read more

Metropolitan Park – Tucumcari NM

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) developed Tucumcari Metropolitan Park, a.k.a. Five Mile Park, in Tucumcari, New Mexico. “At one time Tucumcari Metropolitan Park had the largest outdoor pool in the entire state of New Mexico, a playground with lots of equipment,… read more

Natchez Trace State Park – Wildersville TN

This Tennessee state park was developed by several New Deal  “on land bought from residents who could no longer farm the land due to erosion.” (wikipedia.org) “Three New Deal agencies, the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC),… read more

Nipmuck State Forest – Union CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Graves operated between May 27, 1933 and April 22, 1936 at Nipmuck State Forest in Union, Connecticut. Among the C.C.C. accomplishments were “8 miles of truck trails” and “fire suppression on the Connecticut—Massachusetts border.”… read more

Orchard Beach – Bronx NY

Orchard Beach is an artificial beach 6,000 feet long on Pelham Bay in Pelham Bay Park on the east side of The Bronx, built by WPA workers under the direction of the New York City Parks Department. It required a major reconfiguration… read more

Ouachita National Forest Improvements – Athens AR

Constructed by the 742nd Company of the Arkansas Civilian Conservation Corps District stationed at Mena Camp, this was “…part of a small public recreational complex within the Ouachita National Forest…” (Arkansas Historic Preservation Program). The site includes two dams, a… read more

Pachaug State Forest – Voluntown CT

Pachaug State Forest is the largest forest in Connecticut. After the land was acquired by the state, “Laborers from New Deal programs such as the … Civilian Conservation Corps then turned these newly acquired lands into usable open space …” The… read more

Palisades Interstate Park: Englewood Picnic Area, Bloomer’s Beach Bathhouse, and Refreshment Stand – Englewood Cliffs NJ

The Civil Works Administration (CWA) built the Bloomer’s Beach Bathhouse and Refreshment Stand in the Palisades Interstate Park in Englewood Cliffs NJ. The Palisades Interstate Park Bathhouse served swimmers in the Hudson River until swimming at the beach was terminated during World… read more

Paris Mountain State Park – Greenville SC

Paris Mountain State Park Bathhouse

Paris Mountain State Park was developed in large part by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). “CCC structures, including the Camp Buckhorn lodge, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.” The state park on Paris Mountain was built in… read more