W.P.A. improvements to the historic former Armory building in Wallingford, CT, included: “Repair and improve state armory building” Official Project Number: 165‐15‐2102 Total project cost: $1,828.00 Sponsor: State of Connecticut Quartermaster General’s Department “Paint and varnish interior and exterior of building”… read more
A combined fire and police station in Niles, Michigan was constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. The P.W.A. supplied an $40,050 grant for the project, whose total cost was $94,463. Construction occurred in 1938-9. Sources suggest the building has since… read more
"Presently occupied by Fullerton Police Department, this graceful three-level building with Spanish Colonial Revival architecture was originally dedicated as the City Hall in July 1942. The concrete building is L-shaped, with a three-story tower and cupola placed at the central… read more
“In a remodel of the building in the 1960s, the mural in the former city council chambers was covered over. Post-surrealism artist Helen Lundberg painted this three-panel mural, entitled The History of California, in 1942, as an art project under… read more
Constructed stable buildings in Golden Gate Park. Built modern stable of concrete and wood for mounted police.–Healy, p. 70.
Lehighton, Pennsylvania’s historic Municipal Building was built in 1936. Its construction was enabled by the provision of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $20,455 grant for the project, whose total cost was $47,764. Construction occurred between… read more
This building was constructed by the WPA in 1940: “A rectangular…structure, the Skiatook Municipal Building looks very much like an armory. It is constructed of dressed and lightly rusticated native sandstone laid randomly…It appears to be a military armory, but… read more
Located on the campus of the New Mexico Department of Transportation is the former New Mexico State Police District 1 office. Constructed as three separate WPA projects between 1935 and 1940, the former State Police campus consists of an administrative… read more
The Police Department headquarters in Thomasville, North Carolina was originally built as the community’s city hall and municipal building during the Great Depression. Construction of the Art Deco-style building was enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA), which provided… read more
Originally the Louisiana State School for the Deaf, this neoclassical design building is now an administration building for the Baton Rouge Police Department.
The W.P.A. built a pistol shooting range at the old police headquarters in Leominster, Mass. The location of the old police station is unknown to Living New Deal.
The first major federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken in Atlanta during the Great Depression was the city’s police station and jail. The PWA supplied a $257,000 loan and $97,460 grant for the project, whose total cost was $355,867…. read more
“One of many public buildings constructed in Mississippi under WPA legislation during the Great Depression, the building has been well maintained and has retained its architectural integrity” (Weaver, 1995). The former US Post Office in Philadelphia was one of 32… read more
The historic post office in Rensselaer, New York was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project with Treasury Department funds. The building, which was completed in 1936, has since been re-purposed as the town’s police department building.