- Prague, OK
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Military and Public Safety, City and Town Halls, Police Stations, Penal Facilities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
This former city hall and jail building was built by the PWA in 1936. “The building is currently the location of the Prague Police Department, with the municipal offices having moved to another location in town.
…The town of Prague applied for a grant and received $6,316 toward construction costs. The building was completed in November 1936 and occupied in January of 1937. The first public meetings were held there in March of that year. The PWA grants were for 45% of costs, and if the applicant was legally allowed to enter into loan agreement, the remaining 55% could be borrowed from the PWA, to be paid back over time. The PWA participated in supervision of construction, but dropped any control over its later use.
The building was originally constructed as a Police Court, Jail, Fire Department Garage, City Clerk’s office and a large Council Chambers. The building is in excellent condition and retains almost all of its original construction features.” (waymarking.com)
Source notes1) https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMEHQ7_Old_City_Hall_and_Jail_Prague_OK 2) https://www.ocgi.okstate.edu/shpo/nhrpdfs/98000732.pdf
Site originally submitted by hamquilter on November 29, 2013.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site