Camp Upton Improvements – Yaphank NY

Now the site of the US Department of Energy’s Brookhaven National Laboratory, Camp Upton (near Yaphank, New York), was originally “created in 1917 to house and train soldiers for the United States.” Camp Upton and its surroundings was the site… read more

Camp W.G. Williams Hostess House – Riverton UT

The WPA and FERA built the “Hostess House” at the recently opened Camp Williams National Guard training site in 1935. From the National Register of Historic Places: “This public works-sponsored building is an example of the Period Revival/ English Tudor… read more

Cape May Naval Air Station (former) Development – Cape May NJ

The WPA conducted a large-scale reconstruction project at the Cape May Naval Air Station, located at the easternmost part of Cape May. A thorough history of the installation can be found at Abandoned & Little Known Airfields (airfields-freeman.com). There are… read more

City Hall (former) – Artesia NM

Old City Hall: plaque, Artesia, NM

The former combination city hall and library in Artesia, New Mexico was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1939. The PWA provided a $13,975 grant for the project, whose total cost was $31,250. Construction… read more

City Hall and Fire Station (former) – Pinehurst NC

Pinehurst, NC: old City Hall / Fire Station

The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) dramatically improved the former multi-purpose municipal building at 45 Community Road in Pinehurst, North Carolina. “In Pinehurst, Moore County, project No. 63-B4-5, transferred from the Civil Works Administration, has… read more