The Art Deco civic center and armory was Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1206. Designed by Edgar Lucian Malvaney, it was approved 10/24/1036 and completed 11/10/1937. The PWA allotted a grant of $51,226 toward the completion cost of $110,575. A… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the no-longer-extant Civil Prison… read more
Coast Guard Air Station St. Petersburg was built during 1934-1935 with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds and under Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor and rules. Built during this time were a 100 ft by 120 ft aircraft hangar and associated… read more
A former military facility, the Coast Guard Air Station at Floyd Bennett Field was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. “The City of New York under the direction of Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, deeded a portion of New York City’s only… read more
A 1938 Hampton Union article reported that: “The new Hampton Beach Coast Guard station will be the most elaborate and up to date of any in this section. The large two and one half story building will be located in… read more
The W.P.A. conducted improvement work to the former Cochituate fire station. Work included interior and exterior repainting.
In 1972 the U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service approved the nomination of the Cole County Jail-Sheriff’s House to the National Register of Historic Places. The areas of significance were identified as architecture, political and jurisprudence. The nomination… read more
“This [PWA] project consisted of additions to the courthouse and the construction of this two-story reinforced-concrete jail. The jail contains the warden’s quarters, dayroom and two cells each for white and colored women, two day rooms and four felony cages… read more
Collin County Jail was erected in 1880. The two-story Collin County Jail features quarry-faced, ashlar limestone masonry construction and exhibits detailing and massing characteristic of the High-Victorian Italianate style. Two-tiered pilasters mark the slightly projecting central bay. This bay features… read more
Oxford, Massachusetts’s old Colonel DeWitt Fire Station, located on Barton Street, received modest assistance from Federal Emergency Relief Administration funds in 1934. The current status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted substantial improvement work at the historic Commonwealth Armory. The facility was demolished in 2002. The details—including description, Official Project Numbers, total costs, and sponsors—of more than a dozen W.P.A. projects undertaken at the armory can be found in… read more
‘… sixteen identical company officers quarters. Each unit will accommodate 1 officer and his famly and is a 1-story-and-basement building with reinforced concrete foundations, stuccoed hollow-tile wallas and a roof covered with Spanish tiel… All of the buildings at Hamilton… read more
Also known as the 174th Regiment Armory, the Connecticut Street Armory was ‘overhauled’ by federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor.
In 1938, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements to the former Contra Costa County jail, which stands just behind the old courthouse (the present Finance Building) at 625 Court Street. According to a WPA Project Card from the National… read more
Public Works Administration, project W1208, constructed a two-story Art Deco style jail for the courthouse. A grant of $13,939 was approved toward the total cost of $30,977 6/22/1938. Contract was awarded 9/13/1938 and construction begun 9/22/1938. Architects were Krouse &… read more
This utilitarian yellow brick structure with subtle Art-Deco touches was a Public Works Administration project. Completed in 1939, the jail replaced the old Jonesboro jail located at Madison and Monroe streets. This building remained in use as Craighead County’s jail… read more
The Civil Works Administration and the Public Works Administration (PWA) completed improvements at the District of Columbia Reformatory and Workhouse (today’s “D.C. Workhouse and Reformatory Historic District”) between 1933 and 1940. “During the latter part of December 1933 an appropriation was obtained… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) worked to improve the 1921 David Street Fire Station, also known as Fire Department Station 1, in Casper, Wyoming. Cassity: “The beautiful, but already aging, David Street Fire Station in Casper gained its share of… read more
The historic Dawes County Courthouse in Chadron, Nebraska was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $44,893 grant for the project, whose total cost was $99,771. Construction occurred between January 1936 and… read more
The WPA conducted extensive work at former Delaware Ordnance Depot, located on the west side of Route 130 about halfway between Penns Grove and Pedricktown. Many buildings and much of the infrastructure from the time is still extant. WPA projects at the… read more
"This is a modern fire station which includes not only all the necessary facilities for the fighting but also provisions for training, recreation, housing of personnel, and maintenance of all equipment. The building is located in the business district of… read more
According to the Washington Post, the Public Works Administration (PWA) paid for additions to the District Jail, first built in 1876. In 1938, four new cell blocks, two connecting wings, a new powerhouse, and a new laundry facility were proposed…. read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Dixie Bibb Graves Armory in Montgomery in 1935. The structure was named after Dixie Graves, the first female senator to represent Alabama, and wife of Governor Bibb Graves. A WPA grant for the… read more
The facility now known as East Hall was originally constructed as the “Isolation Building” for Florida Industrial School for Girls, a reformatory. It was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $27,727… read more