This art deco style WPA building is no longer used for official business. Now the fire station side holds the Boys and Girls Club, while the other side is used by small businesses.
The W.P.A. conducted repair and improvement work on numerous civic facilities in Newton, Massachusetts, including at the since-demolished Auburndale fire station.
Works Progress Administration (WPA) project No. 3544 started 10/05/1935 included 3 additional fire stations. WPA funding supplied $13,495.01 and the sponsor $9,513.78 for payroll, materials, and equipment. Ground was broken for the new Back Bay fire station on the north… read more
This fire station was constructed by the PWA in 1939 and remains in use today.
Construction on Belmont’s central fire station was begun in 1935 by SERA and completed under the direction of the WPA using local labor. The station hired its first two employees in 1938. Presently, the building houses Belmont’s Center for Independence… read more
Built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), this Mission Revival-style fire station was built in 1936. The building has been substantially altered since its original construction.
In 1937, the California Department of Natural Resources sponsored the Works Progress Administration to “Construct warehouse, garage, barracks, and residence; install refrigeration plant, water mains, and sewer facilities; landscape and improve grounds; and perform other appurtenant and incidental work, at… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an administration and residence building for the fire-fighting arm of the California Division of Forestry in Humboldt County in 1941. This is now a unit of Cal-Fire, the statewide forest and wildfire agency. The… read more
The Central Fire Station in Ada, Oklahoma, was constructed by the Public Works Administration (PWA), under the supervision of architect Robert F. Ferguson, consulting engineer George Taylor, and contractor Arney Harbert. It is a two-story stone block building with four… read more
Works Progress Administration (WPA) project No. 3544 started 10/05/1935 included 3 additional fire stations. WPA funding supplied $13,495.01 and the sponsor $9,513.78 for payroll, materials, and equipment. Hook & Ladder, adjacent to L & N Depot, on Main Street. The… read more
Greenwich’s Central Fire Station was constructed in 1937-9 as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $119,250 grant for the project, whose total cost was $326,788. PWA Docket No. CT [W]1274. CTHistory: “In February 1936 the Board of… read more
Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the historic former Central Fire Station in Saco, Maine was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. contributed a $27,000 grant toward the project, whose total cost was $60,928…. read more
According to a wayside marker at the current Chestertown Firehouse (see photo and source note 1 below), the Chestertown Town Hall, at 118 N. Cross Street, was Chestertown’s firehouse for forty years (1938-1978). The old Chestertown Firehouse was one of… read more
The W.P.A. conducted repair and improvement work on numerous civic facilities in Newton, Massachusetts, including at the former Chestnut Hill fire station.
In 1935, the WPA demolished Sebastopol’s original wood-frame city hall and replaced it with a reinforced concrete building containing both municipal offices and a fire station. The Santa Rosa architectural firm, William F. Herbert and Clarence A. Caulkins designed the… read more
WPA funds in the amount of $4,711 were appropriated for the construction of the City Hall in 1940. The cost of the building was estimated at $8,100. The building is two stories, of natural stone, and contains a garage for… read more
One of several fire stations built in the New Deal in Charleston West Virginia. This station was listed on as contributing on the Elk City Historic District (08000392). The building is no longer used for a fire station but remains… read more
One of several fire stations built in the City of Charleston under the New Deal.
The W.P.A. conducted improvement work to the former Cochituate fire station. Work included interior and exterior repainting.
Oxford, Massachusetts’s old Colonel DeWitt Fire Station, located on Barton Street, received modest assistance from Federal Emergency Relief Administration funds in 1934. The current status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal.
"This is a modern fire station which includes not only all the necessary facilities for the fighting but also provisions for training, recreation, housing of personnel, and maintenance of all equipment. The building is located in the business district of… read more