WPA Project No. 465-3-2-596, App. Date May 4, 1938, $15,342, Total Funds $27,413, Federal Man-hours 16,654, Average Employed 51, Sponsor: Mt. Diablo Fire Protection District, “Construct firehouse, including driveways and sidewalks, in the town of Concord, Contra Costa County, and… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor constructed a fire station in South Deerfield, Mass. The facility was dedicated March 31, 1937. WPA Bulletin: South Deerfield— A parade featured by an antiquated pumping outfit and horse-drawn steamer followed by modern motor equipment,… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a firehouse in the then unincorporated area of Broderick (now West Sacramento) for the Washington Fire District. The building is now privately owned. According to the Sacramento Bee on May 13, 2016, the station… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) laborers repaired Boston’s old Fort Hill Fire Station during the mid-1930s. The building was torn down in 1952 to make way for construction of the since-buried downtown freeway.
The PWA helped construct this fire station, which evidently doubled as a town hall. Subsequent additions have been made but the original building stands.
During 1934 the [C.W.A. and/or] F.E.R.A “thoroughly renovated and repaired” Framingham’s Hollis Street fire station, in addition to constructing “a new brick fireproof fire alarm signal building” in the rear of the station. Later the W.P.A. sponsored a six-room addition… read more
Oxford, Massachusetts’s old Huguenot Steamer No. 1 Fire Station is located on Main Street in North Oxford. A second-story community meeting space was in the building was known as Huguenot Hall. Huguenot Hall received assistance from the federal Works Progress… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers constructed an extension to the multi-purpose former community building and Linden Fire Station in Malden, Mass. WPA Bulletin: A ward meeting place has been built, recreational quarters added and library floor space doubled by a… read more
The WPA rebuilt Long Beach Fire Department Station No. 7 after it was destroyed in the 1933 earthquake.
The WPA rebuilt Long Beach Fire Department Station No. 9 in 1939 after it was destroyed in the 1933 earthquake.
WPA Bulletin: Long Island — Boston’s smallest firehouse is soon to be built by WPA. Though David-like in proportion the new building will be a Goliath to the 1500 people and 16 institutional buildings on this Boston Harbor plot of… read more
The historic Main Street Firehouse in Pascoag, Rhode Island was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The colonial-style brick building was constructed between Dec. 1938 and Aug. 1939. The PWA supplied a $23,998 grant for the project, whose… read more
The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) conducted substantial modernization work to what was then Newburyport’s central fire station. Originally constructed as the Market House in 1823, the building at 1 to 3 Market Square [/Merrimac Street] was renovated into an arts… read more
"Albuquerque is home to scores of WPA buildings and works. Among the most prolific are the following- … John Gaw Meem designed both S[h]coles Hall and Zimmerman Library on the campus of the University of New Mexico (the corner of… read more
The old Haverstraw Municipal Building, which now serves as a Fire Department facility, 25 Fairmount Ave., was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $39,000 loan and $31,909 grant for the project,… read more
According to an index of WPA projects in the national archives, the WPA did extensive work in Brentwood, including: installing water mains, constructing sidewalks, curbs and gutters, and paving and storm drainage. Records show the WPA also constructed a Law… read more
The W.P.A. conducted repair and improvement work on numerous civic facilities in Newton, Massachusetts, including at the former Nonantum fire station.
Construction through the Works Progress Administration (WPA) began in 1935 with 18″ stone quarried from a nearby ranch and was completed in 1937. This building housed the Volunteer Fire Department downstairs and City Hall upstair until the 1970’s. Walls are… read more