- Mineola, TX
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Military and Public Safety, City and Town Halls, Firehouses
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- R.D. Adrian
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
In 1902 Mineola’s city hall burned. For over 20 year they operated out of rental property. In 1929 the city bought this property and in 1929 the city started to build a combination fire house/city hall. The fire house was completed in 1931 but then the city ran out of money. According to a newspaper article, in August of 1940 the city applied for WPA funds to complete the city hall. Other sources say the city hall was completed in 1939.
Source notesNPS https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000288.pdf (#8 in Section 7-13) Mineola Monitor Newspaper 8/15/1940 https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth299001/m1/1/ Historical Marker - Picture submitted
Site originally submitted by Eveline Evans on February 13, 2017.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site