- Mount Vernon, TX
- Site Type:
- Military and Public Safety, Civic Facilities, City and Town Halls, Firehouses
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
WPA funds in the amount of $4,711 were appropriated for the construction of the City Hall in 1940. The cost of the building was estimated at $8,100. The building is two stories, of natural stone, and contains a garage for two fire trucks. The second floor was utilized as an auditorium and city offices were on the first floor.
The building currently serves as the Fire Station Museum.
Source notesTeague, C. & Bush-Reves, L. (n.d.) Main Street Matters: Spotlight on Mount Vernon. Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved from www.thc.state.tx.us. Mount Vernon: A Northeast Texas Treasure. (n.d.) Texas Forest Trail/Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved from texasforesttrail.com. “City Hall Project for Mt. Vernon Approved.” The Paris News, (Paris, Texas), 21 April 1940, p. 3
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 22, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site