Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor conducted improvements at the former A.A. Low School in Salem, Massachusetts. The facility was located at the northwest corner of Nichols St. and Butler St. WPA Bulletin: A new plumbing, heating and ventilation system has… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Civil Works Administration carried out “repairs and renewals” work at the Abraham Lincoln Elementary School (now J. Antonio Jarvis School) on St. Thomas.
On April 23, 1941, the Department of Parks announced the opening “of a new playground and athletic field adjacent to the Abraham Lincoln High School” to be used jointly by the Park Department and the Board of Education. The new… read more
The former Acton High School building was greatly improved with federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) funds and labor in 1933. School Committee Report, 1933: “The school system has functioned fairly normally during the past year. The pared appropriation hindered somewhat,… read more
Now the Ellis-Polk Police Station. Remodeled room for telatype and general complaints.–Healy, p.72. Originally the Adams School Annex, this building was then the San Francisco Ellis-Polk or "Northern" Police Station for many years. Though the inscription above the door now… read more
The PRRA built rural schools across the Island through its Program of School Construction. Between 1937 and 1938, “The Federal government authorized the expenditure of $3.000.000 by the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration for school buildings. Of the original grant, $1,000,000 has… read more
Vocational night school. Eighteen classrooms. Near high school. ‘Bids will be opened […] for constructing Agassiz elementary unit of twelve classrooms to be located at Bartlett and Twenty-second Streets. Masten and Hurd are the architects. The estimated cost is $179,000.’–The Architect… read more
Originally constructed as Public School 27 (P.S. 27) in Red Hook, Brooklyn by the federal Work Projects Administration. The school was described by the WPA in 1940: “Will serve the Red Hook Housing Project, was completed in June, 1940. A… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) contributed approximately $5,400 toward the construction of the Aleknagik Schoolhouse Inn in 1938. Built as a territorial school in 1933, the facility initially consisted of a log cabin. In 1938, the PWA built a two-story structure. The… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work at the old Alhambra School in Phoenix, Arizona during the 1930s. A gymnasium was also constructed in 1938. Living New Deal believes the old facility to be demolished.