- Brooklyn, New York City, NY
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Schools
- New Deal Agencies:
- Works Progress Administration (WPA), Work Relief Programs
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
On April 23, 1941, the Department of Parks announced the opening “of a new playground and athletic field adjacent to the Abraham Lincoln High School” to be used jointly by the Park Department and the Board of Education. The new construction included:
“…four paved tennis courts and two softball diamonds which in the future will be paved with bituminous material to provide all year round usage, including roller skating and ice skating, also a bituminously paved area in which are three shuffleboard courts, two paddle tennis courts, three basketball standards and a basketball court with removable standards.
The athletic field consists of a football field encircled by a running track, a field house with comfort station facilities, locker and shower accommodations and concrete bleachers seating approximately 1100 spectators.
The improvement was designed by the Department of Parks, approved by the Board of Education and constructed by the Work Projects Administration.”
The tennis courts are still extant, and the athletic field was relaid in 2002 and replaced with artificial turf in 2009.
Source notesDepartment of Parks, Press Release, April 23, 1941 https://www.covehurst.net/ddyte/brooklyn/ttf.html New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Site originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 9, 2016.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site