1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 60
  • Bladensburg High School - Bladensburg MD
    The school built by the PWA in 1936, and in 1937, the WPA also did extensive work on the school including: "Improve the high school building and grounds in Bladensburg…by grading athletic field, constructing soccer field, running track, steps to front entrance and bus unloading spaces; and performing appurtenant and incidental work." (National Archives) In 2001, the New Deal facility was torn down and a new facility was built in its place in 2005.
  • Blanco High School - Blanco TX
    The National Youth Administration built the Blanco High School in 1940. Austin American Statesman Newspaper, December 19, 1940: "Blanco lays cornerstone for new building, built by National Youth Administration workers. The new high school started a year ago, is built of native white limestone. It contains eight class rooms and a large auditorium, the latter section being the only part not yet completed. More than 100 Blanco County boys have received work experience on the building. Jesse Kellam, state NYA head, was the speaker at cornerstone laying ceremonies Wednesday afternoon."
  • Bliss Grade School Addition - East Providence RI
    The PWA built a two-story addition to the original 1922 building. Both the addition and original building have been demolished. The addition was designed by East Providence architects Traficante & Niebuhr.
  • Bloomfield School - Bloomfield MT
    The WPA allocated funds for construction of a new school building in Bloomfield, Montana in 1938. The location and current status of the structure in question is unknown to Living New Deal. The allocation for the structure appears on Montana WPA Roll 24 under project number 665-91-2-2.
  • Blowing Rock School Gymnasium and Playground - Blowing Rock NC
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the stone gymnasium structure at Blowing Rock School. It was one of many educational facilities constructed by the WPA in Watauga County. The WPA also constructed a "well-planned" playground. The school facility has since been largely demolished and replaced, though the WPA gymnasium still remains.
  • Blue Bell School (former) - Sapulpa OK
    This former WPA school in what was then the community of Blue Bell (no longer extant) was restored as a private residence in the 1990s: "But now, thanks to an adventurous couple from Tulsa, there is something else in Blue Bell that promises to secure its legacy - an old, hand-hewn sandstone school building restored to its glory and looking much as it did in 1937 when it was built by the Works Progress Administration... The building, gutted and remodeled during the past four years by the Wingfields, has everything that more modern homes have - living room, kitchen, bedrooms, baths. But...
  • Bluejacket Public School - Bluejacket OK
    The Works Progress Administration built several structures for the Bluejacket Public School between 1936-1939. The author of this submission provided the Living New Deal with the following account based on personal discussions with a family member who was the superintendent of the combined projects: "The work consisted of razing the condemned school building, constructing a gymnasium, constructing a combined grade and high school building. The work started in 1936 and was completed 1939. Work crews began by razing the existing 3-story brick school house, constructing the gymnasium from native tan-variegated sandstone, constructing a combined 1st through 12th-grade schoolhouse with library, administrative offices, and two toilets with...
  • Bois D’Arc Elementary School - Bois D’Arc MO
    Bois D’Arc Elementary School was constructed by the WPA in 1935-37.
  • Boise High School Gym - Boise ID
    The WPA built a new gymnasium for the high school in 1936. According to the school's website: "Students had saved their nickels and dimes and put them in a fund which covered some costs of the structure. The new gym replaced the cracker box located in the basement of the main building. The ceiling in the old gym was so low it interfered with the playing of the game of basketball. The WPA furnished the labor to build the gym." (https://boise.school.boiseschools.org)
  • Boise State University - Boise ID
    Originally Boise Junior College. "Established in 1932, the Boise Junior College was without a permanent home until the initial construction of the present campus in 1940-42. The land had previously been occupied by the Boise airfield, which had moved to its current location at Gowen Field. Designed in the traditional campus style of Collegiate Gothic, the Administration Building (1940), Heating Plant (1940), Assembly Hall (1940-41), and original Student Union (1941-42) represent a more streamlined version of the style as it transitioned into the modern age. The campus infrastructure, landscaping, and original structures were all funded through the WPA." (www.preservationidaho.org)
  • Bollinger School (former) - Scopus MO
    This school building is a WPA project from 1937. It has rock work that is particularly well-done, though rather spare. The walls are predominately dark river rock with lighter colored rock under the eaves, at the corners, and surrounding the door and windows. It is currently being used as a private residence.
  • Bond School Home Economics Building - Louisville, MS
    The National Youth Administration funded the new frame construction of the Bond School's Home Economics Building in Winston County. W.P. 5187, Application #903; NYA. I-A2-80" (Series 2018)
  • Bonnyview School Addition and Remodeling (demolished) - Murray UT
    Several school building and renovation projects were undertaken in Murray, Utah during the 1930s, with the aid of the Public Works Administration (PWA): a new  Arlington School, a two classroom addition at Bonnyview, finishing the basement into classrooms at Liberty, and an addition to the high school gymnasium.  At Bonnyview School, a brick addition to the old building added two classroom, and restrooms were installed inside the building.  A separate building, formerly housing the first and second grades, was remodeled into a combined auditorium, playroom, and cafeteria. Bonnyview School served mostly families of industrial workers living near the railroad and families living on...
  • Bonnyview School Grounds and Rock Wall - Murray UT
    The Bonnyview School was expanded in the 1930s with the help of the Public Works Administration (PWA).  At the same time, the Bonnyview grounds were landscaped and   220 feet of rock retaining wall were built, along with entrance steps.  The school district furnished the materials at a cost of $980, while WPA provided the labor from the ranks of locally unemployed men (estimated at three months of work for twenty men). The school has since been demolished and the site left empty, but the elegant rock wall and entrance steps remain (though the concrete steps are deteriorating).
  • Booker T Washington School Auditorium and Gym (demolished) - El Reno OK
    The original school was built in 1912, and then in 1937, the WPA built an auditorium and gym. According to a 1987 survey, "Gym was added to original school, which no longer exists. Newer school buildings added in 1940s changed position of school on lot. Brick shows signs of paint." Contributor note: "Booker T. Washington, located at 502 N. Admire, was a high school, constructed by the WPA. It was a black high school in a time before integration, and was closed in 1968. "This is a two-story red brick building, with the first floor partially below ground level. The main entrance which...
  • Booker T. Washington Community Center - Staunton VA
    Originally the Booker T. Washington High School for Coloreds, this Art Deco community center was constructed in 1936 with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a grant of $30,991 for the project, whose total cost was $75,760. Construction occurred between Jan. and Oct. 1936. Expanded in 1960, the building is listed on the National Register of historic Places. PWA Docket No. Va. 1098
  • Booker T. Washington High School Improvements - Atlanta GA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) developed the grounds of Booker T. Washington High School in Atlanta, Georgia ca. 1936.
  • Booker T. Washington School (demolished) - Gainesville TX
    Text on a historical marker at the school reads: "In 1880, two years before the City of Gainesville created a public school system for all its children, Island Sparks, a young Mulatto, taught the black children of the city. In 1886, the city built a frame school building on this site for the community's black youth. Originally known as the Gainesville Colored School, the school adopted the name Booker T. Washington sometime before 1927. The original two-story facility was replaced in 1939 with a red brick, WPA project structure. Desegregation in 1965-66 resulted in the closing of Booker T. Washington as...
  • Boulder Community Center - Boulder WY
    Constructed by the WPA, the "building known today as the Boulder Community Center was constructed in 1939 as the third Boulder school. An addition built around 1950 gave the school its present appearance and added two additional classrooms and indoor plumbing. The school was used for sixteen more years, after which time the School Board decided that local children would be bused to Pinedale schools instead. The Boulder School was closed in 1966."
  • Boulder High School - Boulder CO
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded a beautiful new high school for the city of Boulder in 1936-37, replacing an obsolete structure built in 1895. The project cost $550,500.  The school's design is Streamline Moderne (Art Deco) and one of the architects was Glen Huntington, the builder of the noted Art Deco Boulder County Courthouse (which is not a New Deal structure). The exterior facade is done in the same local "Colorado Red" stone as buildings on the University of Colorado campus. The original interior of the auditorium is intact and probably the cafeteria, as well, along with many of the details,...
  • Bowdry School Building - Senatobia MS
    This eight room frame building was constructed by the National Youth Administration for use by African American students in the segregated school system of Tate County, near the town of Senatobia, Mississippi. It was completed in 1938, replacing the one room shack previously used by the district.   W.P. 4656, Application # 115: (1937-38); NYA. I-A1-69" (Series 2018)
  • Bowers School (former) - Wilburton OK
    Contributor note: "Bowers School is located about six miles west of Wilburton off Highway 270. This is a two-room school about 28 x 68 ft. constructed of cut and coursed native sandstone, which is now painted a sand color. It is currently used as a community center, and used by the West End Fire Department, who have an additional metal vehicle building nearby. The school faces west and has a two-door entrance recessed beneath a porch gable roof, supported by four beams. The school roof is gabled and now covered with metal siding. Windows on the front are boarded, but the...
  • Boyce Street School Retaining Walls - Auburn MA
    The Civil Works Administration built perimeter rock and concrete walls around the Boyce Street School, a public elementary school. Currently, the site is a public park and playground.
  • Boyes School - Boyes MT
    A large allocation of WPA funds for school construction and improvement projects for the state of Montana was issued in late 1938. Among the construction provided for was a new school building in Boyes, Montana. The location and status of this structure is unknown to Living New Deal. The allocation for the building appears on Montana WPA Roll 25 under project number 665-91-2-62.
  • Bragg City School - Bragg City MO
    This small linear school was constructed as a PWA project in 1937. It features two gabled ends with a carved rock symbol of a lamp of knowledge. It is very similar to other schools of similar size in Missouri and presently is a private residence.  
  • Brainard School - Brainard NE
    In 1935, Brainard was given a grant of $24,000.00 from the Public Works Administration (PWA) for the construction of a new school. The total cost of the school was estimated to be $52,000.00.
  • Brandeis School of Law, University of Louisville - Louisville KY
    The WPA completed this law school building in 1938-39 when it was known simply as the University of Louisville Law School. The project submitter reports that the building's WPA heritage is locally known, and is also referenced in a letter dated May 13, 1938 from Adele Brandeis, Director of the FAP for Kentucky to Thomas Parker.
  • Brantly Elementary School - Antlers OK
    “The greatest legacy of the WPA in Oklahoma may be the hundreds of WPA-built buildings that are still in use. To most citizens, the public buildings are the most visible remains of a work relief program that truly benefited the taxpayers both at the time and generations later." "More schools were built by WPA in Oklahoma than in any other state. The Final Report lists 825 new school buildings and 185 substantial additions to existing schools. The number of school projects made up nearly one-half of the public buildings constructed with WPA funds. Other buildings constructed by WPA totaled 1,309.” “The Antlers...
  • Brea Olinda High School Improvements - Brea CA
    The WPA made improvements to the school and bleachers.
  • Brenham High School Gymnasium - Brenham TX
    "Constructed with locally available building materials in the traditions of the Rustic Style, the Brenham High School Gymnasium combines a native fieldstone veneer with metal factory-sash and massing reminiscent of the International Style. Ranging from 1 to 3 stories, the structure is composed of geometric building blocks which express the different functions housed within... The gymnasium was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939-40. It is similar to the WPA constructed gymnasium on the Blinn College campus. The property is an excellent example of Rustic architecture that characterized labor-intensive craftsmanship, government building in the 1930s. Its use of local stone...
  • Brentwood Elementary Science Magnet - Los Angeles CA
    Brentwood Elementary Science Magnet (formerly Brentwood Elementary), which opened in 1916, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the...
  • Bret Harte Junior High School - Hayward CA
    This school was supposedly constructed by WPA funds that were then matched by the community. The school has been heavily altered but the original outdoor amphitheater remains behind the gym.
  • Bridge Street Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Bridge Street Elementary School, which opened in 1907, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Bristol School (former) - Bristol TX
    Text from the state historical marker reads: "The community's first school was housed in a multi-purpose building erected here in 1870. The Bristol School district was established in 1877. Youth from throughout the area attended Bristol schoolhouse built in 1886 and 1913. A new brick school containing five classrooms and an impressive auditorium and stage was completed here by the U.S. Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1940. 130 pupils attended the 9-grade, 6-teacher school in 1940-41. The school served the area until 1955. In 1957 its facilities and grounds were deeded to the Bristol Cemetery Association."
  • Brockton Avenue Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Brockton Avenue Elementary School, which opened in 1918, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Bronte High School - Bronte TX
    The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) constructed the former high school building and attendant perimeter wall in 1938-9. A W.P.A. plaque remains on site. It is located in front of the new high school, on the remains of the step entrance to the old building.
  • Brookland Education Campus at Bunker Hill - Washington DC
    The Brookland Education Campus at Bunker Hill, NE, encompasses the former Bunker Hill Elementary School, which was built during the New Deal era.  The new facility includes middle school. Initial plans were made in 1938 for a full, two-story building for the Bunker Hill Elementary School to replace an earlier school building, but it ended up being built in stages. A grant of $111,200 from the Public Works Administration (PWA) allowed the construction of the basement and six rooms on a single floor, which became the west wing of the school. All but some finish work was completed in 1939 and the...
  • Brooklyn New School Addition - Brooklyn NY
    Formerly known as Public School 142, what is now the Brooklyn New School building received a five-story addition in 1938-9 as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $191,250 grant for the school, whose total construction cost was $339,052. PWA Docket No. NY 1450
  • Brooklyn Technical High School - Brooklyn NY
    A WPA photo of students of the Brooklyn Technical High School says that the school itself was constructed by the PWA. The school's website says that ground was broken on the site in 1930 and the school was ready for partial occupancy in 1933, so most likely construction began before the New Deal but was completed by the PWA.
  • Brown's Prairie School - Washington TX
    In 1888, a church and school building was erected in a central location at newly-divided Brown's Prairie, with the Reverend David Buchmueller as pastor and teacher. By 1911, a new wooden six-room school building was used each Sunday, with one teacher for six grades. In 1939, the wooden school was replaced using WPA funds, constructed by architect Travis Broesche and stone mason Carl Whitmarsh. In the 1940s, the Brown's Prairie School was referred to as Washington School, and after the 1950-51 school year, all students were transferred to Brenham after its annexation into the district.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 60