- Afton, OK
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Gymnasiums, Schools
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Public Works Funding
Afton High School was constructed in late 1934 as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided an $18,000 loan and $7,507 grant for the project, whose total cost was $26,287. PWA Docket No. OK 1948.
This “T” shaped (192′ x 98′) structure is constructed of brick which has been painted yellow. The school consists of two units: a classroom unit which has a flat roof with parapets and a gym unit, which forms the stem of the “T” and has an arched roof with stepped parapets. The double door front entry is arched with fanlight, framed by pointed pilasters and lintels. Brick friezes above the windows and front entry add decorative relief to the structure. A brick addition to the west side of the building has not severely impaired the integrity of the structure.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 175.
https://www.okhistory.org/shpo/wpa/wpa3ottawa.pdf (accessed Mar. 2018)
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 4, 2018.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site