Alamitos Neighborhood Library – Long Beach CA
The WPA constructed the Alamitos Branch of the Long Beach Public Library in 1938.
The WPA constructed the Alamitos Branch of the Long Beach Public Library in 1938.
Built by the WPA in 1940. The library flooded during Katrina, but has since reopened.
The Dauphin Disco Dougherty Memorial Library, now known as D.D. Dougherty Hall, was constructed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) at what was then known as Appalachian State Teachers College in Boone, North Carolina. The building was completed in… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the old Matthews library building at the Arizona State Teachers College in Tempe. It presently serves as the Matthews Center on the campus of today’s Arizona State University. The building is… read more
“Located in the historic downtown area of Raton, New Mexico, Arthur Johnson Memorial Library building was originally built” as the community’s post office in 1917, well prior to the advent of the New Deal. “Remodeling in the late 1990’s opened… read more
The paper “A History of the Bandera Public Library” documents that a Civil Works Administration (CWA) project was secured to cover a portion of the cost to build a new building in 1934. In the book, History of Bandera County,… read more
Originally the Miami Beach Public Library & Art Center, this building was designed by Russell Pancoast in 1930. FERA later completed the interiors of the rooms on the ground floor.
It served as the Berkeley County Library from 1938 to 1970. The building was moved from Library Street around the corner to 221 First Street in 1969 and continued to serve customers until the grand opening of the new library… read more
The beautiful Bernal Heights Library on Cortland Avenue in San Francisco was built in 1940 by the Works Projects Administration (WPA), after it had become part of the Federal Works Administration (FWA) in 1939. The library is built of reinforced… read more
The historic Wilkinsburg Borough Building—also home to the public library—was built in 1939 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $130,014 grant for the project, whose total cost was $407,643. PWA Docket No. PA [X]2209
The Brooklyn College Library is one of the original buildings on the campus, part of a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken in 1935-37. Construction on the library building began in 1936. The library houses WPA murals by Olindo… read more
The Works Progress Administration set up an outdoor library in Bryant Park. The “Reading Room” began in 1935 and closed in 1944. Today the park still serves as the site of an outdoor library, opened in 2003.
In the late 1930s, the historic Carnegie Library in Provo, Utah was greatly expanded with a grant and labor provided by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The Provo Library website tells us that, “On December 1, 1908 the Library moved… read more
The Carnegie Library building in Washington DC was the District’s Central Library from 1902 to 1970. It was one of many libraries built with funding from the businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. From 1935 to 1938, the Works Progress Administration… read more
The Carnegie Libraries web page summarizes the history of the structure: “A men’s group, the Paso Robles Improvement Club, initiated the first library in 1901, and the ladies auxiliary persuaded the city to establish a free public library in 1903…. read more
James Madison University’s Carrier Library was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $63,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $140,010. Construction occurred between Oct. 1938 and Sept. 1939. JMU.edu:… read more
The Cedar Avenue Complex was constructed in 1938 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). It began life as a county civic center in Lancaster CA, forty years before that city was incorporated (1977). It included a library, memorial hall,… read more
The former Queens Central Library, located at 89-14 Parsons Blvd., “opened in 1930 and was expanded with WPA funds in 1941.” “The current Central Library is a product of its era. In the mid-1960s, instead of renovating the existing library… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) carried out maintenance work on the Old Central Public Library in 1935, as well as helping with clerical tasks. That library building had been funded by Andrew Carnegie in 1906. It was replaced in 1960… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the Brooklyn Public Library’s… read more
The main buildings of City College were constructed between 1903 and 1907 and the library was built in 1929. A new wing to the library was constructed in 1939 with funds labor provided by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
The historic Alpine City Hall was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal project with Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor. It included meeting rooms, an assembly room, public library, jail and fire station. The architecture is a melange of New… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the municipal building in De Leon, Texas. The building has housed various municipal functions over the years, including the City Hall, Fire Station, Auditorium, and Library. Official project No. 665-66-2-16. File card text: City Hall; City… read more
The WPA helped build this municipal building for the town of Salina. From A History of Sevier County: “A municipal building was constructed in Salina in 1936-37 with the assistance of the WPA, which paid 50 percent of the building’s cost.”
The former combination city hall and library in Artesia, New Mexico was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1939. The PWA provided a $13,975 grant for the project, whose total cost was $31,250. Construction… read more
New Smyrna Beach’s city hall was originally built as the city’s library. The building was constructed by federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor during the Great Depression.
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Temporary Emergency Relief Administration (TERA) constructed the historic Potsdam civic center. NRHP nomination form: “The Potsdam Civic Center shares salient associations with Depression-era New Deal programs and politics, particularly as manifested in the process… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve New Rochelle’s, New York’s former Columbus Branch Library (a.k.a. Feeney Park Library; opened 1931) during the 1930s. The exact location and present status of the building that housed the library, which was… read more
In 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a community center and adjoining public library (today’s Historical Museum) in El Monte, CA. The adobe-style structures were built of reinforced concrete and stucco. The community center originally housed city offices, meeting… read more
“In 1936, with funding supplied by the Federal Government through an agency called the “Works Progress Administration” (WPA), and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the Town of Mercer started work on the Mercer Community Center/Public Library. Constructed entirely of pine… read more
The stone veneer facade, one-story stone and brick Community House was constructed with Work Progress Administration funding in 1938. One room of the Community House was designated for a library in 1966. The first known library in the county was… read more
“The year 1938 is most remembered for the devastating hurricane and subsequent floods, but this was also the year steps were taken that resulted in a new library building being built. Although an urgent need for expanded library facilities had… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a stone wall at, and made other improvements to, what is now known formally as the Wilmington E. M. Cooper Memorial Public Library. Google Street View imagery shows the wall present as of… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a community house and library in Coral Gables, Florida. The building now serves as the Coral Gables Woman’s Club. “During the Great Depression, the national Works Projects Administration operated projects in cooperation with state and… read more
This 59″ high woven tapestry “Fruits of the Earth” was designed by Donal Hord, and woven by Marian Kendall, V. Kelley, and F. Manchester. It was created in 1939 with support from the WPA Federal Art Project. It originally hung… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a vocational building for the Cotaco School. Correspondence with David Burleson, local source: “The last 8 pictures are of the Cotaco High School vocational building referred to in the 1938 work order […] At that… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided the funding for the Visalia branch public library, built in 1936. The design is Mission Revival, with tile roof, stucco walls and exposed beams. It has four wings extending from a central entrance with… read more
The former Heber City library was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the latter years of the Great Depression. Construction occurred between August 1938 and May 1939. The PWA supplied a grant of $13,275 toward the… read more
The 1939 PWA library constructed at Delta State Teachers College (now Delta State University) was designed in an Italian Renaissance/Mediterranean style. It was used as the library until 1968, and has been used as the Fielding Wright Art Center since… read more
"The land on the corner of Tin and Hemlock, was acquired in 1921 for $900. It was not until 1935, however, that the library building was constructed with funds provided by the Public Works Administration. Although the building was remodeled… read more