- Harrisonburg, VA
- Site Type:
- Colleges and Universities, Education and Health, Libraries
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Public Works Funding
- Site Survival:
James Madison University’s Carrier Library was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $63,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $140,010. Construction occurred between Oct. 1938 and Sept. 1939.
The library building that is now known as Carrier opened in 1939. Originally named Madison Memorial Library, it was the first standalone library building on campus. The library was only two floors at the time. The first floor for non-academic books and magazines, the second for the main circulation desk and main book collection.
PWA Docket No. VA [X]1255
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 121.
https://sites.lib.jmu.edu/historyandcontext/quad-storymap/ (accessed Mar. 29, 2023)
https://www.jmu.edu/centennialcelebration/major_buildings.shtml (accessed Mar. 29, 2023)
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 29, 2023.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site