Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor conducted improvements at the former A.A. Low School in Salem, Massachusetts. The facility was located at the northwest corner of Nichols St. and Butler St. WPA Bulletin: A new plumbing, heating and ventilation system has… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Civil Works Administration carried out “repairs and renewals” work at the Abraham Lincoln Elementary School (now J. Antonio Jarvis School) on St. Thomas.
On April 23, 1941, the Department of Parks announced the opening “of a new playground and athletic field adjacent to the Abraham Lincoln High School” to be used jointly by the Park Department and the Board of Education. The new… read more
The former Acton High School building was greatly improved with federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) funds and labor in 1933. School Committee Report, 1933: “The school system has functioned fairly normally during the past year. The pared appropriation hindered somewhat,… read more
Now the Ellis-Polk Police Station. Remodeled room for telatype and general complaints.–Healy, p.72. Originally the Adams School Annex, this building was then the San Francisco Ellis-Polk or "Northern" Police Station for many years. Though the inscription above the door now… read more
“The Rex Activity Center is one of twelve buildings designated to Alamosa’s Historic Registry… Designed by architect William Bowman and constructed in 1938-39 as a Public Works Administration project, Rex Gym is one of the oldest buildings on campus and… read more
The PRRA built rural schools across the Island through its Program of School Construction. Between 1937 and 1938, “The Federal government authorized the expenditure of $3.000.000 by the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration for school buildings. Of the original grant, $1,000,000 has… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) managed an adult education program in Rochester, New Hampshire during the Great Depression. The program replaced a similar one that had been locally organized and funded. A somewhat disdainful attitude toward federal assistance is typified… read more
Vocational night school. Eighteen classrooms. Near high school. ‘Bids will be opened […] for constructing Agassiz elementary unit of twelve classrooms to be located at Bartlett and Twenty-second Streets. Masten and Hurd are the architects. The estimated cost is $179,000.’–The Architect… read more
Originally constructed as Public School 27 (P.S. 27) in Red Hook, Brooklyn by the federal Work Projects Administration. The school was described by the WPA in 1940: “Will serve the Red Hook Housing Project, was completed in June, 1940. A… read more
Pennsylvania State University’s Ag[ricultural] Engineering building was one of a dozen buildings constructed on the campus during the Great Depression as part of a massive construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The building is still in use… read more
From The Fur Farms of Alaska: Two Centuries of History and a Forgotten Stampede: “In 1937, the legislature responded by appropriating $20,000 to establish an experimental fur station near Petersburg on land to be selected by a committee of three—… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a dining hall for the Alabama Boys Industrial School in Roebuck, a neighborhood of Birmingham, Jefferson County. The present condition of the structure is unknown to the Living New Deal.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built dormitories for the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn University).
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an Outdoor Amphitheater for the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn University). The amphitheater was built for the Agricultural Training camp. Granite cobblestones retrieved after the WPA paved the streets of Montgomery were used for the… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a swimming pool for the former State Training School for Girls in Chalkville, Alabama, near Birmingham.
The Works Progress Administration built a total of five buildings for the State Training School for Girls in Chalkville, near Birmingham. The buildings included the administration building, hospital, and clinic. The estimated federal cost was $179,072.00. The exact location and… read more
'In preparing the design for the new library building, much attention was devoted to acoustics and to the material and artificial lighting of the main reading room. The results have been most satisfactory. The building was constructed with rigid concrete… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) contributed approximately $5,400 toward the construction of the Aleknagik Schoolhouse Inn in 1938. Built as a territorial school in 1933, the facility initially consisted of a log cabin. In 1938, the PWA built a two-story structure. The… read more