Athenaeum Hall Improvements – Framingham MA

Courtesy the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.), Athenaeum Hall in Framingham was “repaired and painted, both inside and out. New plastering was installed where necessary…” The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) installed a new heating system, water pipes, and electrical wiring… read more

Bly Ranger Station Compound – Bly OR

“The Civilian Conservation Corps and local experienced men, under the supervision of the U.S. Forest Service, constructed the Bly Ranger Station compound between 1936 and 1942. The compound, made up of both administrative and residential buildings, continues to service and… read more

Bonham State Park – Bonham TX

The state acquired the land for Bonham State Park in 1933 from the City of Bonham. The Civilian Conservation Corps developed the 261-acre park, landscaping the rocky, hilly terrain for erosion control and recreational purposes, and constructing an earthen dam… read more

Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge – San Antonio NM

“The “woods of the Apache” were once inhabited by the Piro Indians who built two large pueblos, raised turkeys, and harvested the valley’s natural bounty. In the sixteenth century El Camino Real, a 1,930-kilometer Spanish supply route between Sante Fe… read more

Bronx Terminal Market Freight Shed (demolished) – Bronx NY

From 1938 to 1939 federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers constructed a freight shed at the north end of the Bronx Terminal Market. Much of the funding for the project came from a $250,000 allocation from the New Deal Reconstruction Finance Corporation… read more

Camp Edwards – Cape Cod MA

“Between 1935 and 1940, Massachusetts and the federal government, primarily using Works Project Administration funds, constructed 63 buildings (all but Buildings 102 and the old Williams Hospital have since been demolished) and two, 500-foot (150 m) wide turf runways at… read more

Camp W.G. Williams Hostess House – Riverton UT

The WPA and FERA built the “Hostess House” at the recently opened Camp Williams National Guard training site in 1935. From the National Register of Historic Places: “This public works-sponsored building is an example of the Period Revival/ English Tudor… read more

CCC Improvements – Big Bend National Park TX

From Our Mark on This Land (2011): “If you have driven, hiked, or slept in the Chisos Mountains, you have experienced CCC history. In May 1933, Texas Canyons State Park was established; it was later renamed Big Bend State Park…. read more

Chilao Recreation Area, Angeles National Forest – Palmdale CA

“It was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a product of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, that turned Charlton Flat and Chilao into prime recreation areas. A CCC camp was set up at Charlton Flat in June 1933, and another… read more

City and County of San Francisco Coroner’s Office – San Francisco CA

Coroner's Office

Completed rehabilitation of building started under S. E. R. A. projects, including plumbing, pipe covering, electric work, rearrangement of library and painting.–Healy, p. 69. This building no longer exists. It was demolished along with the neighboring County Jail and Hall… read more

Page 1 of 812345...Last »