The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the municipal yard at… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was present in Death Valley National Monument from 1933 to 1942. CCC ‘boys’ built erected a total of 76 buildings in the monument, including administrative, residential, maintenance & visitor facilities. The main CCC camp was… read more
The Work Projects Administration (W.P.A.) constructed the Arch Hurley Conservancy District building in Tucumcari, New Mexico in 1940. “Construction of the High Street office building took place in the summer and fall of 1940. A photograph at the ACHD office, dated… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the State Capitol Annex Building in 1938. The University of Arizona Libraries Digital Collections information page on State Capitol murals mentions that PWA funds were used “to hire Jay Datus to paint… read more
Courtesy the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.), Athenaeum Hall in Framingham was “repaired and painted, both inside and out. New plastering was installed where necessary…” The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) installed a new heating system, water pipes, and electrical wiring… read more
This art deco style WPA building is no longer used for official business. Now the fire station side holds the Boys and Girls Club, while the other side is used by small businesses.
“The Bartlett Experimental Forest (BEF) is a field laboratory for research on the ecology and management of northern hardwoods and associated ecosystems. The BEF is within the Saco Ranger District of the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. It… read more
“The Civilian Conservation Corps and local experienced men, under the supervision of the U.S. Forest Service, constructed the Bly Ranger Station compound between 1936 and 1942. The compound, made up of both administrative and residential buildings, continues to service and… read more
The structure was originally built as the headquarters of the Boise District of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The Boise District supervised CCC camps in southern Idaho and eastern Oregon. Currently, the building serves as a restaurant.
The state acquired the land for Bonham State Park in 1933 from the City of Bonham. The Civilian Conservation Corps developed the 261-acre park, landscaping the rocky, hilly terrain for erosion control and recreational purposes, and constructing an earthen dam… read more
The park remained largely unimproved until the mid-1930s, when the Civilian Conservation Corps boys arrived (though there seems to be some uncertainty about exactly when the actual construction work began, two different contemporaneous sources reveal that as of the spring… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Brewton Courthouse Annex in Brewton, Escambia County. The new annex provided additional space for ten county offices—the Department of Public Welfare, the county Education Department, the Home Demonstration and County Agricultural Agent, the County… read more
This state office building was constructed in the Art Moderne style of Carthage marble in order to complement the state capitol which is north of the Broadway building. It was partly constructed with WPA funds.
From 1938 to 1939 federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers constructed a freight shed at the north end of the Bronx Terminal Market. Much of the funding for the project came from a $250,000 allocation from the New Deal Reconstruction Finance Corporation… read more
Several cabins for Bryce Canyon National Park employees were built by New Deal agencies over the course of the 1930s. They appear in the residential area of the Park near the lodge. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a 3-room employee cabin… read more
Many small improvements were made to Bryce Canyon National Park during the New Deal, along with the other substantial additions noted on accompanying pages (see thumbnails to the right). In 1933-1934, the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided the National Park… read more
Newspaper articles from the 1930s report that a mixture of New Deal funds and private spending in the amount of $975,000 were used to construct the Bureau of Public Roads Research Center. According to the Bureau of Public Roads annual… read more
Works Progress Administration (WPA) records in the National Archives report that in 1937 WPA workers were used to “Remodel, renovate, and paint buildings located at 460-476 C Street NW, together with other small supplementary buildings.” The work included, “installation of… read more
“Between 1935 and 1940, Massachusetts and the federal government, primarily using Works Project Administration funds, constructed 63 buildings (all but Buildings 102 and the old Williams Hospital have since been demolished) and two, 500-foot (150 m) wide turf runways at… read more
The WPA and FERA built the “Hostess House” at the recently opened Camp Williams National Guard training site in 1935. From the National Register of Historic Places: “This public works-sponsored building is an example of the Period Revival/ English Tudor… read more
The Cedar Avenue Complex was constructed in 1938 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). It began life as a county civic center in Lancaster CA, forty years before that city was incorporated (1977). It included a library, memorial hall,… read more
“It was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a product of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, that turned Charlton Flat and Chilao into prime recreation areas. A CCC camp was set up at Charlton Flat in June 1933, and another… read more