The historic Elk City, Oklahoma Federal Building / post office was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building was completed in 1936 and now houses the Elk City Board of Education.
The Franklin Hall dormitory building at OPSU was improved with W.P.A. funds and labor. “By the 1920’s, the dormitory housed only male students, usually forty of them, and was called The Boys’ Dormitory. In 1935, the state legislature and WPA funds… read more
This courthouse contains a series of oil murals depicting the region in the 19th century. The murals were painted by Ruth Monro Augur under the auspices of the WPAs Federal Art Program: “Ruth Munro[sic] Augur, nationally known muralist, was forced… read more
“The Garvin County building was WPA-constructed. The cornerstone shows the date of 1941. Above the entrance, is the date 1942. The building is in excellent condition and houses several community headquarters, including the 911 services, the Red Cross, Big Five… read more
“Because the private Goodland Academy was consolidated with an adjacent public school district in the 1930s, the Presbyterian-sponsored orphanage that was founded in the nineteenth century was given WPA funds to add buildings to its campus. A grade school building,… read more
“Greenville School is a ten-room school built in 1937-1938 by the [Works Progress Administration] WPA. It is a long, flat-roofed building constructed of rusticated and coursed native sandstone from the local area. “The larger window units have been covered with… read more
The historic 1941 high school and gymnasium facility in Fairland, Oklahoma was constructed by the Work Projects Administration (WPA). With walls built half out of native stone and half of recycled bricks, the building was most unusual. The structure has been… read more