- Eufaula, OK
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Military and Public Safety, Armories
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
“Built in 1935 and finished in 1937, this building continues to house a unit of the Oklahoma National Guard…
Construction began in November of 1935 on the Armory. The building was constructed of quaried of native sandstone. The architecture created a feel of a fortress. Relief stone work created the Seal of the United States over the doorway.
Major Bryan W. Nolen of the Oklahoma National Guard, was the architect of the Eufaula Armory and the standardized plans for all the armories throughout the the state created under the WPA. Nolen created standard plans for one-unit, two-unit and four-unit armories for the state. The designs were flexible enough that unskilled labor could be used to construct the armories. In all, fifty-one WPA armories were constructed prior to the end of 1937, and in thirty-three cases, native sandstone was chosen as the exterior building material.
This magnificant structure exemplifies WPA projects, and for that reason was placed upon the National Register of Historic Places. Its strength and endurance is shown by its continued use as constructed; today, it remains in use as a National Guard Armory.” (https://www.waymarking.com)
Source noteshttps://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM8D8N_Eufaula_Armory_Eufaula_Oklahoma https://landmarkhunter.com/177935-eufaula-armory/
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site