1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14
  • 10th and Choctaw Road Culvert - Choctaw OK
    The Works Progress Administration built a culvert on Choctaw Road in Choctaw, OK. Contributor note: "This culvert carries water run-off north-south at the intersection of 10th Street and Choctaw Road. The culvert has a 3 ft by 3 ft. opening, and at the time of our visit was heavily overgrown with tall grasses. At the top of each curb of the culvert, the WPA shield is stamped reading 1939."  
  • 10th Street and Autumn Lane Culvert - Harrah OK
    The Works Progress Administration built a culvert at the intersection of 10thStreet and and Autumn Lane in Harrah, in 1939. Contributor note: "This culvert carries water run-off north-south under 10th Street, about two miles west of the town of Harrah. The culvert opening is about 3 ft by 3 ft. Stamped on top of the curbing on either side of the road is the WPA shield and the date 1939."
  • 10th Street and Dobbs Road Culverts - Harrah OK
    The Works Progress Administration built culverts at the intersection of 10th Street and Dobbs Road in Harrah, in 1939. Contributor note: "These two culverts carry water run-off east-west under Dobbs Road, on each side of 10th Street. The culverts were built by the WPA in 1939. The culvert on the north side of 10th Street is approximately 2 ft. high and 3 ft. wide; the culvert on the south is 2 ft. high and 4 ft. wide. Though partially filled with sand and dirt, they appear to be handling the water flow satisfactorily. On the curbing of each culvert end, a WPA stamp...
  • 10th Street and Luther Road Culvert - Harrah OK
    The Works Progress Administration built a culvert at the intersection of 10th Street and Luther Road in Harrah, in 1939. Contributor note: "This culvert carries water east-west under Luther Road, on the south side of 10th Street. The culvert opening is approximately 3 ft by 3 ft. The culvert carries water run-off and we saw no creek in the vicinity. On top of the curbing, the WPA stamp reads 1939."
  • 10th Street and Peebly Road Culverts - Harrah OK
    The Works Progress Administration built a culvert on 10thStreet Peebly Road, Oklahoma County. Contributor note: "On 10th Street, between Choctaw and Harrah, at Peebly Road, there are two culverts which carry water east-west from the drainage ditches alongside 10th Street. The culvert openings are rectangular, and approximately 2 ft. by 3 ft. The WPA did extensive road and drainage work in this area in the latter part of the 1930's. These culverts are stamped 1939."
  • 10th Street Bridge - Choctaw OK
    The Works Progress Administration built a bridge on 10thStreet in Choctaw. Contributor note: "One-half mile east of Hiwassee Road on 10th Street, this is a bridge with three 10 ft. wide openings, and five concrete pillars at each side of the road. The bridge spans north-south flowing water down an unnamed creek. The bridge is located on the northern edge of the Optimist Park. The bridge appears to be in good condition. On each side of the road, a pillar is stamped with the WPA shield and the date 1939."
  • 10th Street Culvert - Oklahoma County OK
    The Works Progress Administration built a culvert on 10th Street in Oklahoma County, in 1939. Contributor note: "This culvert is located about 200 feet east of the intersection of 10th Street and Peebly Road. This culvert carries water north-south from a small pond northeast of the culvert. Run-off must be quite severe at times, as the culvert opening is about 3 ft. by 6 ft. As with much of the culvert road in this area, this culvert was constructed in 1939 by the WPA."
  • 10th Street Culverts - Gotebo OK
    The Works Progress Administration built culverts on 10th Street in Gotebo, OK in 1938. The culverts are marked with the WPA stamp and are located north and south of Maud Linnie Avenue. Contributor note: In front of a former school, these two culverts cross 10th Street, north and south of Maud Linnie Avenue. They handle drainage flowing east-west. The culverts are concrete and have openings approximately 2 ft. high and 4 ft. wide. The curbing is imprinted with the WPA stamp showing the year 1938. Grass and weeds are grown up at the entrances which may impede the water flow. The nearby auditorium/gymnasium was also...
  • 8th and Denver Culvert - Okemah OK
    This culvert was completed in 1939 by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). It runs north-south and crosses Denver on the east side of N. 8th. The tunnel is constructed using large cut block, and the opening is approximately 3 ft. by 5 ft. The curbing at each end is stamped with the WPA shield indicating 1939.
  • 8th Street Culvert - Gotebo OK
    The Works Progress Administration built a culvert at the intersection of 8th Street and Maud Linnie Avenue in Gotebo, OK. Contributor note: "This culvert is located in a residential area and crosses 8th Street east to west. The culvert is concrete and the opening is about 2 ft. high and 4 ft. wide. On each curb there is a WPA shield pressed into the concrete reading WPA 1938. The culvert is partially blocked by concrete blocks at each end, and does not look like it would function properly."
  • 8th Street Culvert - Okemah OK
    The Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed this culvert in 1939. It appears to handle water running through a two-block, man-made drainage ditch, just west of the WPA athletic stadium. The culvert runs east-west and is approximately 3 ft. high by 6 ft. wide. The culvert is constructed of large, cut blocks.
  • Abe Andrews Park - Norman OK
    Formerly known as Norman City Park, this site was established in the late 1890s and considerably improved during the New Deal: "Between 1935 and 1937, under the New Deal programs, several items were constructed in the southwest portion of the park. Work was performed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, the Works Progress Administration with some work done by the National Youth Administration. A beautiful native stone amphitheater was constructed which is still in use today. The amphitheater is a semi-circle, with three sections of twenty rows of seating. The seats are native stone benches with concrete caps. At the rear of...
  • Ackley Park Baseball Stadium - Elk City OK
    The WPA created the Ackley Park baseball field and stadium in 1939, along with a boy scout hut in the park “The occasional use of dark stones created a unique pattern at the baseball field in Ackley Park in Elk City.”   (Barton)
  • Adams Hall Murals, University of Oklahoma - Norman OK
    The Adams Hall project included a series of murals reflecting different aspects of Oklahoma business life by Craig Sheppard, a fine arts student at the time. The murals "illustrate some of the prominent industries in Oklahoma’s economy, including farming, stock raising, transportation, retailing, banking, oil, mining and smelting."   (price.ou.edu) It is not clear if the murals were funded by the PWA directly or by another New Deal art program.
  • Adams Hall, University of Oklahoma - Norman OK
    Adams Hall was constructed as the school of business for the University of Oklahoma in 1935 by the PWA. Joseph Smay was on the architecture faculty and designed this and Richards Hall in 1935.  Included in the project is a series of murals reflecting different aspects of Oklahoma business life by Craig Sheppard, a fine arts student at the time.  The sculptures of industry and commerce were executed by Jules Struppeck who did a Post Office project in Many, LA.
  • Afton High School - Afton OK
    Afton High School was constructed in late 1934 as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided an $18,000 loan and $7,507 grant for the project, whose total cost was $26,287. PWA Docket No. OK 1948. OKHistory: This "T" shaped (192' x 98') structure is constructed of brick which has been painted yellow. The school consists of two units: a classroom unit which has a flat roof with parapets and a gym unit, which forms the stem of the "T" and has an arched roof with stepped parapets. The double door front entry is arched with fanlight, framed by pointed...
  • Alex Public School District #56 (Demolished) - Alex OK
    "The Alex Public School (pronounced Elic), is a red brick one-story T-shaped building, with its main entrance in the north intersection of the T. This entrance has new aluminum and glass double doors with two concrete steps. The doors are slightly recessed under a triangular pediment, and flanked by two round columns. "Many of the windows have been filled in with concrete block or covered with wood. This main building has numerous outbuildings in this school complex and contains all grades in this small town of approximately 550 residents. The school complex is located at F Street and 2nd Street. "The year...
  • Alice Robertson School - Muskogee OK
    “Muskogee’s Alice Robertson School, now a 7th and 8th grade center, and the adjacent stadium, Indian Bowl, used WPA labor. The plaque in the school lobby indicates Federal Works Agency is credited with the job, as the project was completed after the reorganization requiring that label. Many communities wanted to avoid using the letters WPA, because of the stigma of using ‘relief’ labor. That did not appear to be true in Muskogee, which had many WPA projects. Federal Works Agency was a proper term, but many schools finished during that time used the common shield with the date and WPA,...
  • Alice Savage Elementary - Red Oak OK
    The Works Progress Administration built the Alice Savage Elementary in Red Oak. Contributor note: "The Alice Savage Elementary School, located on North Main is a one-story coursed native sandstone building, with a flat roof on the classroom section and a barrel roof over the gymnasium which is connected perpendicularly to the rear of the school. The school contains 10 or more classrooms, and was built in 1939-1940. The front of the school has two double-door entrances recessed beneath arched openings. Between the two entrances are two projected stone pilasters with decorative projections. The windows are set in triples. The top one-third of...
  • American Legion Hut - Edmond OK
    "This American Legion hut is a one-story native stone building, constructed in the Craftsman style. It is located at the SW corner of Stephenson Park, and was a WPA project in 1936. It was constructed at a cost of $7,000 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. The building faces 5th Street to the south and has a front facing gable with a smaller gable over the entrance. There are wide overhangs and open eaves, with exposed wood rafters. The windows are four-over-four double hung. The interior has three rooms, a large meeting hall as you enter...
  • American Legion Hut - Tahlequah OK
    "Located in Tahlequah City Park, on the southeast corner of N. Brookside Avenue and E. Shawnee Street, this Hut is also known as the Rhodes Pritchett American Legion Post 50 and is currently active. It is a rectangular building constructed of native sandstone in a typical WPA Standardized style. The building has a native stone foundation, with a covered porch entrance under a side facing gable. The roof is slightly pitched and covered with shingles.   "The porch front opening, as well as each of the paired window units has a soldier-stone header with a large keystone. The windows are one-over-one wood-framed...
  • Anadarko Armory - Anadarko OK
    "This WPA Project brought in $60,000 to the economy of Anadarko and employed 210 people, for a period of 13 months... One of the significant projects of the WPA during the years 1935-1943 was the construction of military armories. This T-shaped armory is rather unique in its design with wings extending on the north, south and west. At the center is a barrel-roofed drill area, with a stage at one end. Beneath this stage area was an underground rifle range. The armory contains 23,000 feet and was one of the largest built in Oklahoma by the WPA. This armory is constructed of...
  • Armory - Okmulgee OK
    "Located at the northwest corner of W. 2nd and Alabama Streets, west of downtown Okmulgee, this armory was built by the WPA and completed in 1936. It was constructed of native limestone, quarried nearby and gave work to between 300 and 400 local workers, bringing $68,000 into the economy of the town. It housed Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion, 179th Infantry and also Company K, 179th Infantry of the 45th Infantry Division. Uniquely, members of Company K helped with the building, providing 6000 hours of labor in construction and landscaping of their new home. As is the case in most of the...
  • Armory - Tonkawa OK
    "The Tonkawa Armory is located east of the downtown area on North Street. The armory is rectangular (136' x 124') and constructed of native limestone in the Romanesque style. The architect firm was Nolan, Bryan, Ahler. The roof is concrete and flat with parapets on the front (south) and west sides. An arched metal gable roof is located over the drill area. "The front which faces south has four overhead garage doors, and a single entry door recessed into the slightly projected entry bay. The west elevation is similar in construction. The windows are fixed single units. "The armory was constructed in...
  • Armory - Watonga OK
    The Watonga Armory was constructed between 1935 and 1937 as a WPA project. This can be documented by the bronze shield above the entrance, and the cornerstone. The armory was placed on the National Register in 1994. This is a very typical WPA-constructed Armory in Oklahoma, although the decorative brickwork shows a high degree of masonry skill. The south end of the building has a barrel-shaped roof and was the drill area. The two-story, flat-roofed North end has rooms for offices, supplies and arms on the second floor, and a garage area on the ground floor with overhead doors. The main facade...
  • Armory - Yale OK
    The Works Progress Administration built an armory in Yale, OK in 1936. Contributor note: "The Armory in Yale, as with most Oklahoma armories, was constructed by the WPA. This stone armory is located at 200 S. Main, and appears to be either vacant, or perhaps used by the town for storage. The armory faces East and has two wooden doors located in a slightly projected fortress-style bay. The tall window units are multi-pane casement. One overhead vehicle door is located at the northeast corner. A cornerstone is located on the northeast corner and reads: 'State Armory Built by Works Progress Administration 1936 W.S. Key State...
  • Armory (former) - Ada OK
    “The former Ada Armory is a one-story building (210' by 122'). It constructed of white native stone, rusticated and randomly laid. The central portion of the building is the drill floor which has a barrel roof. To the north and south are wings which have flat roofs. The roof on the south portion is missing, due to an explosion.   “The north and south wings each have four arched garage door openings. The windows are elongated casement windows with concrete sills. The building has decorative parapets and pillars.   “In 2006, when the government was shutting down numerous armories and bases, the...
  • Armory (former) - Atoka OK
    Text from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form: "The Atoka Armory is a single story, rectangular (1981 x 120') structure constructed of rusticated and coursed native sandstone of auburn and buff colors. The walls are eighteen inches thick. The stragetic placement of the darker colors raises the masonry to the level of art. The high ceiling central portion of the building has an arched roof, while that on either side is flat. Parapets are on all sections. Pilasters at doorways and vertical friezes above each casement window provide decoration. Garage entrances are through segmental arches. Roof extensions and vertical...
  • Armory (former) - Cherokee OK
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the old state armory in Cherokee, Oklahoma. The structure, which cost $45,325.38 to build, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Armory (former) - Stillwater OK
    The historic former armory in Stillwater, Oklahoma was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1936. waymarking.com: This is a one-story native sandstone armory building located at 315 E. 9th Avenue, currently occupied as the Parks and Recreation Recreation Center. The office area is on the north side. There is a slightly projected entrance bay with a single glass door and sidelight. The tall window units have a fixed pane at the top and double hung sashes beneath. The drill floor area is located south of the offices and has a barrel roof with two vehicle doors. The armory was constructed as...
  • Armory Park Additions - Minco OK
    Additions to this municipal park, which sits behind the armory, are noted in the Oklahoma Landmarks Database showing a Federal Works Progress Administration appropriation of $6,240. The additions include a performance stage, picnic tables and a fireplace.  
  • Athletic Field and Stadium - East Central University, Ada OK
    "On the far east side of the East Central University campus is a football stadium constructed by the WPA during the period 1936-1941. The stadium is rectangular, 199 ft by 56 ft. and constructed of poured concrete, with an exterior of rusticated and coursed white native stone. "The stadium rises 20 tiers and has a stepped cornice on the back wall. Arched windows are boarded up on the back side. Large arched entrances have been reduced in size with opaque glass, wood and concrete block. "A 254 ft. native stone wall runs from the stadium north. Documentation of WPA status is from the...
  • Attucks School Gymnasium - Vinita OK
    This WPA project was described in the National Register of Historic Places Feature for African American History Month in 2012: "A combined elementary, junior high and high school, Attucks School was one of seven such schools that served African Americans in Vinita, Craig County, Oklahoma,  and was the only one that had a secondary school until after racial desegregation in the mid-1950s. Established in 1915-1916, Attucks School is also important for its association with the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a New Deal agency created in the 1930s to stimulate local, state and national economies during the Great Depression. In 1939 the...
  • Azalea St. Culvert - Piedmont OK
    The Works Progress Administration built a culvert on Azalea St., north of Piedmont, on the border of Canadian and Kingfisher Counties, Oklahoma. Contributor note: "This culvert is located just east of Mustang Road on Azalea Street NE (Waterloo Road). It runs north-south from Canadian County on the south to Kingfisher County on the north. This creek must carry quite a bit of water because the concrete culvert opening is approximately 8 feet high and 14 feet wide. A stamped shield on the culvert curbing shows that the WPA constructed this in 1939."
  • Bailey School (former) - Bailey OK
    "This is another of the WPA-constructed schoolhouses in rural Oklahoma which live on in these small communities. The town of Bailey is gone! It is a ghost town, lying 12 miles northeast of Marlow. Its post office served from June 25, 1892, until September 30, 1932. This schoolhouse was constructed in 1939. It faces east along 2915. A sign shows it is/was the home of Bailey Community Church, but we could not determine whether the church still meets here today. This is a one-story Native Stone building which is rectangular with a gabled roof. The front entrance has a four-step stairway, leading...
  • Banner School (demolished) - Guthrie OK
    "Banner School, constructed in 1935, was one of the 825 schools constructed in Oklahoma by the Works Progress Administration. Banner School is located at 1124 W. Warner in northwest Guthrie. The school was constructed in 1935 by the WPA. Unlike the red native stone buildings so prominent in the region, this school is constructed of several shades of tan brick. The brick was scored with vertical striations. This is a one-story building which was an elementary school. The windows are equipped with horizontal, exterior metal movable sun shades. The building is currently vacant and not in use... To the left of the...
  • Bath House - Eufaula OK
    This charming stone bathhouse, built by the WPA in 1939, is still in use, with some slight alterations. A 1985 Oklahoma Landmarks Survey of WPA projects in the state describes the structure in detail: "This bathhouse was originally a single-story structure, but now has two levels. It is a rectangular (55' x 25') building constructed of uncut native stone of auburn and buff colors in masonry of random rubble. The roof is gabled. Shutters were installed on the first floor windows. The entrance to the bathhouse is arched. The entrance to the pool is square. The tent-like structure attached o one...
  • Beavers Bend State Park - Broken Bow OK
    "Much of the charm of Beavers Bend Resort Park lies in the fact that when the park was built in 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the materials of choice came from the land itself: slabs of native stone, and hardwood timbers thicker than a man's chest. From them, CCC crews fashioned cabins, staircases, fireplaces, campsites, and even the Forest Heritage Center and Museum, which now doubles as the Beavers Bend Resort Park office."   (https://www.mccurtaincountygetaways.com/beavers_bend.php)
  • Ben Franklin School (former) - Shawnee OK
    The Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the former Ben Franklin School in Shawnee, Oklahoma during the late 1930s. The Living New Deal suspects that, like Washington School, another New Deal construction Project in Shawnee, the New Deal building replaced the older Ben Franklin School building which had been constructed in 1904. The description on the Waymarking webpage for this site reads as follows: "This is a two-story brick school with a flat roof and concrete coping. The entrance is slightly recessed with a concrete block surround. All windows have continuous brick sills. On the first level, north of the entrance are...
  • Berwyn School (former) - Gene Autry OK
    This WPA-constructed school was built in 1937 when the town was called Berwyn. Contributor note: "The Old Berwyn School at 45-47 Prairie Street was built by the WPA in 1937-1938. It is a one-story beige brick building with a flat roof. Two recessed entrances face east, each with double glass doors. The north side of the building is currently the Gene Autry post office; the south end houses the Gene Autry Museum. At the curb, a set of terracotta veneer steps lead to the front walk. (We never have understood why so many old schools had these steps which had three steps...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14