A waterworks-improvement construction project in Goshen, New York was undertaken during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $32,067 grant; the total cost of the project was $71,537. Work occurred… read more
A waterworks-improvement construction project in Ransomville, New York was undertaken during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $23,287 grant; the total cost of the project was $52,804. Work occurred… read more
A waterworks-improvement construction project in Red Hook, New York was undertaken during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $28,751 grant; the total cost of the project was $72,120. Work… read more
A waterworks-improvement construction project in Rochester, New York was undertaken during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $58,500 grant; the total cost of the project was $89,762. Work occurred… read more
A large waterworks-improvement construction project in Yonkers, New York was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $255,000 loan and grant toward the $325,178 total cost of the project. Work occurred between… read more
“The Sentry Bridge dates back to the 1930s and was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The bridge is located at Watkins Glen State Park near the main entrance to the Gorge Trail …”
The 3.3-acre Watson Gleason Playground, located in the Soundview neighborhood of the Bronx, was constructed with WPA labor. New York City’s Parks Department writes: “In 1938 the City of New York acquired the entire block bounded by Watson, Noble, Gleason,… read more
Syracuse’s old College of Medicine building, now Weiskotten Hall of State University of New York Upstate Medical University, was built during the Great Depression. Its construction was enabled by funds provided by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA… read more
The Works Progress Administration spent $1,500,000 for miscellaneous alterations, additions, renovations, grading, and landscaping of grounds at hospital and institutions to New York’s Charity Hospital. In addition, a nurse’s home and a power plant were constructed at the hospital in… read more
The WPA provided assistance in repairing and otherwise improving the Ninth Regiment / West 14th Street Armory in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. The building is no longer extant. “The (22nd) Twenty-Second Regiment / 14th Street Armory (1863) building was… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) put many men to work starting in 1935 with a Bronx street repair and maintenance project along roads throughout the borough. The streets, many of which in New York City were still unpaved, were surfaced… read more
The caption of the National Archives and Records Administration WPA photo shown here states that this West Falls library was constructed “to “provide for the recreational and educational needs of the Village of West Falls.” The building is still in… read more
This structure was built by the PWA in 1935 as the Post Exchange and Utility Building. It now houses the Academy’s Directorate of Public Works. A 1939 PWA publication described the building as follows: “This structure is one of several… read more
Originally known as the West Point Bullion Depository, this facility was completed in 1937 with Treasury Department funds. “Prior to its remodel in 2005 that added a second-story, the mint was a 170-by-256-foot one-story reinforced concrete structure with a flat… read more
WPA Official Project No. 65-97-60 allocated $2,267,810 for “repair and reconstruction of the waterfront between 23 and 34 Streets” in the west side of Manhattan along the Hudson River. Another document referred to the project as “modernizing” the area. Much… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve the Wheeler Avenue School in Valley Stream, NY during the 1930s. One modest project in 1938 involved painting the interior and exterior of the building. WPA Official Project No. 685-21-2-21.
The Work Projects Administration worked to “improve and alter” the old U.S. Army Building, located at 39 Whitehall Street, during the early 1940s. The building was demolished in 1983.
Suffolk County News reported that between 1935 and 1936, the WPA “improved recreational facilities in [the] following State Parks [in Suffolk County]: Sunken Meadow, Heckscher, Wildwood, Orient Point and Hither Hills…”
The former Willard Parker Hospital received an addition to its laboratory during the 1930s as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The hospital was located at E 16th St. along the East River. The hospital closed during the 1950s and has… read more
The school grounds contain a small New Deal sculpture by Hugo Robus entitled “Girl Weeding.” It was made in 1938, probably under the auspices of the Federal Arts Project of the WPA.
This large bronze and marble memorial in Bryant Park commemorates the 19th c. poet and journalist William Cullen Bryant. The statue was created by Herbert Adams in 1911. In the 1930s, the it was restored with federal funding under Karl… read more
William J. Gaynor Junior High School, I.S. 49, in Brooklyn, New York, was constructed during the 1930s with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA docket number was NY 1075R. The building is still in use today.
From 1934 to 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) employed workers to construct Williamsbridge Oval in The Bronx’s Norwood neighborhood, one of the most diverse areas of the City. Researcher Frank da Cruz notes the WPA Classic Moderne Style of its recreation… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration put many men to work starting in 1935 with street repair and maintenance projects that improved roads throughout the Bronx. A 1.9-mile stretch of Williamsbridge Road was surfaced with penetrated macadam as a result of one… read more