“The 1913 Wyandanch Grade School was purchased by the Wyandanch Post 2912 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and used as the Post headquarters. Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration (WPA) financed the laying of sidewalks on the east side… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration undertook a large road repair project starting in 1935 in the borough of Queens. The streets, many of which in New York City were still unpaved, were repaired; particular emphasis was placed on fixing washout-damaged… read more
Multiple street improvement projects in Ossining, New York were undertaken during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. For one such project the PWA supplied a $81,500 loan and $17,696 grant toward the $99,049… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) photo taken by Dan Nero and dated May 12, 1938, describes WPA improvements to East Stole Street in Wellsville, New York: “East Stole Street improved by WPA for 3500 feet. Work includes installing storm sewers, retaining walls, sidewalks,… read more
On October 1, 1936, the Department of Parks announced the completion of significant developments in Stuyvesant Square park: “At Stuyvesant Square Park the south half of the rectangular section west of Second Avenue and bounded by Second Avenue, East 15th… read more
No-longer-extant, the Suffolk County Tuberculosis Sanatorium is now the site of Suffolk County Community College in Selden. Suffolk County News reported that, between 1935 and 1936, the WPA undertook many projects in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, including landscaping the grounds… read more
Suffolk County News reported that between 1935 and 1936, the WPA “improved recreational facilities in [the] following State Parks [in Suffolk County]: Sunken Meadow, Heckscher, Wildwood, Orient Point and Hither Hills…”
Five Suffolk County highway beautification projects, directed by the WPA, put approximately 1,000 men to work for seven months beginning April 1936. The projects included “the Sunrise highway from the Nassau line at Amityville to its terminus at Great River.”
These WPA archive photos show WPA electricians, mechanics, and workmen installing a new power plant and field lights at Syracuse Municipal Airport. The airport closed down in the late 1940s.
“Under the auspices of the New York Department of Sanitation, between 1937 and 1944, three new wastewater treatment plants were constructed — Wards Island in Manhattan, and Bowery Bay and Tallman Island in Queens. These facilities were designed to reduce… read more
“In 1933, thanks to labor provided by the Temporary Emergency Relief Administration, PIPC was able to transform the former quarry site into a popular recreation center, with a swimming pool, picnic areas, and facilities for field and court games.”
The federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) conducted improvements ca. 1940-1 at what was then the Tank Combat Range in Schuyler Falls, New York. The exact location and status of this facility is unknown to Living New Deal.
Photo caption: “The Hempstead Library, located on the northwest corner of Fulton and Terrace Avenue between 1927 and 1951. A federal WPA project underway on Terrace Avenue is visible at right of photograph.” The exact nature of this infrastructure project… read more
“The Horse Tamers, by Frederick MacMonnies (1863-1937), is one of many sculpture groups in the outdoor collection of New York City’s parks. Dedicated in 1899, the Horse Tamers flank the Park Circle Entrance of Prospect Park… Horse Tamers is an… read more
New York City’s Parks Department writes: “Once known as the “Pauper Burial Ground”, “Colored Cemetery of Flushing” and “Martin’s Field”, this site was renamed in 2009 “The Olde Towne of Flushing Burial Ground”. “The Queens Department of Parks acquired this… read more
The Palisades Interstate Park system, a major beneficiary of New Deal public works projects, spans New York and New Jersey and stretches from The Palisades–cliffs overlooking the Hudson River in sight of Manhattan–to forested hills dotted with lakes in the… read more
Several different schools are located in this building. This untitled New Deal mosaic by Ilya Bolotowsky is located on the 3rd floor. It was installed in 1936.
Nassau County’s Theodore Roosevelt Executive and Legislative Building houses a set of four murals created as a New Deal project. They are located above the staircases, at the second floor of the building’s rotunda. Created by Robert Gaston Herbert, these Federal Art… read more
The Thirteenth Avenue Retail Market in Borough Park was constructed in the 1930s as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. Much of the structure’s visual presence is still intact.