The Works Progress Administration built facilities for the Alabama Boys Industrial School in Roebuck, a neighborhood of Birmingham, Jefferson County. The facilities included a dining hall and a heating plant. The present condition of the structure is unknown to the… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Bankhead Lock and Dam (Lock 17) on the Black Warrior River in the vicinity of Birmingham. “Dam no. 17 on the Warrior River has improved the navigability of the river. This dam is… read more
The 16-story Jefferson Hospital was completed in 1940 and opened in February 1941. Financed with a PWA grant and Reconstruction Finance Loans, the 575-bed hospital had 11 operating rooms, maternity section and all-electric kitchens. It was renamed Jefferson Tower in… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a National Guard Squadron facility at the Municipal Airport in Birmingham, in 1936.
The Works Progress Administration built a farm-to-market road connecting Croston with New Castle, in the vicinity of Birmingham. The road was “farm-to-market type with stone bridge, no cars.”
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Slossfield Community Center. Constructed between 1936 and 1939, the complex consists of several buildings that included a health and maternity clinic, an education building, and a recreation center. The Art Deco structures were… read more
“Smithfield Court is a low-rental housing developmenterected in the city of Birmingham, Alabama, fully financed with P.W.A. funds. A site of 22 acres on which were located some of the city’s worst slum dwellings, was purchased at a cost of… read more