- Birmingham, AL
- Site Type:
- Military and Public Safety, Firehouses
- New Deal Agency:
- Civil Works Administration (CWA)
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
Originally the East Fire Department of Birmingham serving the Lakeview Community, Fire Company 8 was one of two stations build in response to the 1905 Tarriff assessment. Due to its proximity to Station 3 it was moved to the north side and the former station location many know. Amid concerns about roof failures, contaminated water, mold and asbestos, the station was closed on May 9, 2016 and its firefighters and equipment assigned to other stations in Inglenook and Avondale. A new station was completed with 3 bays housing Engine 8 and Rescue 8 in 2018 near the old station and the old station torn down.
Under a CWA Birmingham Public Buildings 37-C-715 Project, this station was classed “A” “those needing general minor repairs, having sufficient sound value left in them to justify a thorough repairing, on which buildings was included painting inside and outside where needed, general carpentry repairs, including doors, windows and repairs to floors, or new floors; general repairs to masonry work and plaster or stucco, repairs to roof and sheet metal work, or new roof and sheet metal work installed. Plumbing, heating and wiring were put in good state of repair, and all minor changes such as moving partitions, or relocation of doors or windows were made.” 23 fire stations in Birmingham were included in this CWA project.
Report On Civil Works Administration Of Alabama Jefferson County Division
Site originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on April 26, 2022.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site