- Birmingham, AL
- Site Type:
- Firehouses, Military and Public Safety
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civil Works Administration (CWA), Work Relief Programs
- Bem Price
- Charles W. Hall
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
This station was constructed in 1928 near Woodward Park. The two-story beige brick station house was designed by Bem Price and constructed for $13,800 by Charles W. Hall. Station No. 15 held one 750-gallon pumper truck in 1960. It later served as the offices of Partners in Neighborhood Growth.
This station was fixed up under a CWA Birmingham Public Buildings 37-C-715 project. These were designated Class “A”, “those needing general minor repairs, having sufficient sound value left in them to justify a thorough repairing, on which buildings was included painting inside and outside where needed, general carpentry repairs, including doors, windows and repairs to floors, or new floors; general repairs to masonry work and plaster or stucco, repairs to roof and sheet metal work, or new roof and sheet metal work installed. Plumbing, heating and wiring were put in good state of repair, and all minor changes such as moving partitions, or relocation of doors or windows were made. 23 fire stations in Birmingham were included in this CWA project.” 3 weeks was the estimated time for completion.
Report of the Civil Works Administration of Jefferson County
Site originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on June 7, 2022.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site