The front of the High School Sports Stadium in International Falls, MN, features a bold, concrete relief sculpture of 1940’s-era athletes created by a Minnesota-born sculptor named Evelyn Raymond. Raymond created the sculpture through the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project.
The historic shelter building in Cincinnati’s Eden Park is located behind PlayHouse in the Park with a playground, pool, and basketball court attached. It has some beautiful mural artwork as well.
Pioneer Park, located at 421 Nimrod Street, Nevada City, is a city-owned community park constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The Pioneer Park Historic District, a National Register eligible park, is set in a designed landscape that is tiered on a north-south axis by masonry stone retaining walls centered around a community swimming pool. Ornamental trees are planted throughout the landscape, and has a riparian natural vegetation, which follows Little Deer Creek with reinforced stonewalls.. The landscape elements create “rooms” for various uses from recreational sports, commemorative memorials, and historic sites. Of the 40 resources in the park, there are 21 contributing resources and 19 non-contributing resources.
The original Eola School was built in 1928. In 1939, a five-room addition, a gym/auditorium, a rock wall, and two water towers were added with the help of Work Projects Administration (WPA) funds and labor. In 1983, the school closed. In 2005 the school was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is currently the Eola School Restaurant and Brewery.
The five-room addition was added to the west side of the original building. It is constructed of rough faced limestone with brick trim. The gym/auditorium extends off the rear or north side. It is spanned by a barrel vault with brick buttresses along the east and west sides. The low limestone wall surrounds the entire property. There are two concrete water tanks.
The Work Projects Administration (WPA) project, as part of a larger uncompleted project: “The 1940 addition was financed with federal and local funds–$60,000 Work Projects Administration (WPA) funds and $15,000 Eola School District funds. The project started October 24, 1939 and was completed October 5, 1940. WPA records specify the construction of a secondary school, gymnasium and 22,119 gallon concrete water storage tank. The secondary school was to be attached to the west end of the existing building. The playground would be enclosed with a rock fence. The August 25, 1940 San Angelo Standard-Times announced the opening of school on September 5 and stated the new gym, 3 classrooms, a library-study hall and rest rooms were finished.”
Located in a west Texas rural farm community, the Eola School was built in two phases. The first section, a stucco building housing classrooms and an auditorium, was constructed in 1928. A 1939 WPA addition substantially enlarged the school by adding three rooms and a limestone and brick barrel vault gymnasium. WPA work also included a 3.5-foot tall limestone wall around the property and two concrete water tanks. The Eola School closed in 1983. As of 2016 the building houses the Eola School Restaurant.
Eola is 18 miles east of San Angelo, Texas. The Eola School is located southeast of the intersection of FM 381 and FM 765, bounded by FM 381 on the west and a rock wall on the north, east, and south.
Bas relief murals depicting agricultural and economic themes were completed between 1938 and 1940 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
“This playground, formerly La Guardia Houses Park, refers to the popular nickname of New York City mayor Fiorello H. La Guardia (1882-1947), Little Flower. The nickname is a literal translation of the Italian mayor’s first name and an allusion to his small physical stature of 5 feet 2 inches.” It was completed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).” It is also the site of Jo Davidson’s bust of LaGuardia.
Constructed in 1939-40, the former New Orleans Fire Department Station Number 2 is one of three firehouses built by the WPA in the Crescent City in the late 1930s. Located in the Lakeview neighborhood, south of Lake Pontchartrain, it consists of a brick-clad, cross-gabled, house-type plan containing one bay. Modest regional influences are expressed through the wrought-iron porch supports and a balconette at the top of the front gable. At the rear is a lower gabled addition holding sleeping quarters. Hurricane Katrina devastated this section of the Lakeview commercial district. The fire station is one of a few buildings pre-dating the storm. Of the three firehouses built by the WPA, it is the only station still in use. It now houses New Orleans Fire Engine Company Number 18, and remains a landmark along Harrison Avenue.
The Pontalba Buildings flank Jackson Square in the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans. The Upper Pontalba Building lies on the west side of the square along St. Peter Street, the Lower Pontalba Building on the east side on St. Ann Street. Both are block-long structures, four stories in height, built of brick and graced with the ironwork typical of buildings in the French Quarter. They were originally built in the 1840s.
The two building were the gift of the Baroness de Pontalba, who wished to improve the appearance of Jackson Square – then the center of the city. They had fallen into decay by the time of the New Deal. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made extensive exterior and interior renovations between 1935 and 1937. They converted the Upper Pontalba Building, owned by the City of New Orleans, into modern apartments and made similar improvements to the Lower Pontalba, owned by the State of Louisiana, turning portion into a museum with rooms furnished to represent the governors of the French, Spanish and American periods. The 1941 WPA Louisiana state travel guide characterized the Pontalba Apartments as “among the most popular living quarters of the Vieux Carré.”
The buildings were designated as National Historic Landmarks in 1974.
One of architect Clarence “Cap” Wigington’s distinctive St. Paul structures, the West Minnehaha Recreation Center was built between 1937 and 1938 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Wigington was the first black municipal architect in the country, and many of his designs were brought to completion by New Deal funding and local laborers. See the Harriet Island Pavilion (now Clarence W. Wigington Pavilion) and Hamline Playground Building for other examples of his WPA-era work in St. Paul.
The West Minnehaha Recreation Center, known as “West Minne” by locals, was built of Platteville limestone and has received many additions and renovations since its construction. The park’s spaciousness and central location in the Frogtown neighborhood of St. Paul make West Minne a popular place for sports tournaments, team practices, school functions, and neighborhood festivals.
In 1911, the Texas legislature approved the creation of a school district for Jourdanton after citizens appealed for assistance. A high school and football field were built after a bond election passed. In 1938, with assistance from the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a gymnasium was constructed to serve the growing community.
At some point, the gym was destroyed. The gym’s cornerstone and WPA plaque have been preserved in a brick enclosure on the school grounds.
Phelps & Dewees & Simmons designed many structures in the San Antonio area, including Alamo Stadium another New Deal project previously submitted.