1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 100
  • Camp Mercer - Mercer WI
    Camp Mercer is a historical site/trail and serves as a piece of Wisconsin history by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Camp Mercer still exists in its current location and is primarily known for its trail that many can walk through and learn about the history of the area. Camp Mercer was built in 1933 by the CCC and became the headquarters of the northern woods of Wisconsin. The role of this camp was to station young men before dispatching them to neighboring locations. These men were noted in the newspaper written at the time, The Mercer Monitor, where they would...
  • CCC Camp Applegate (former) - Ruch OR
    Once located approximately 35 miles southwest of Medford in the Rogue River National Forest, Camp Applegate operated as a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp from 1933 until 1941. Oregon enrollees worked at Camp Applegate (F-41) on US Forest Service projects until 1937 when recruits arrived from southern states, primarily Alabama. Projects completed by Camp Applegate workers included the construction of an extensive truck trail system for forest management purposes. Thompson Ridge Road, Little Applegate Road, Middle Fork Road and the Beaver Creek - Mount Ashland Loop are among those fire roads built by CCC enrollees. While members of the CCC...
  • CCC Camp - Elmhurst IL
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) company 1672 built a camp in Elmhurst IL. "In December 1933, Elmhurst welcomed CCC company 1672. The company consisted of more than 200 army veterans, and they quickly set to work building a camp near North Avenue and Villa Avenue to the northwest of town. However, their work orders were delayed, and in May of the following year the company was dispatched to Rockford. Camp Elmhurst was temporarily vacant until the end of that summer. CCC Company 2602, under the command of Captain Leland S. Powers, arrived at Camp Elmhurst on August 10, 1934 with the assigned...
  • East Lake Branch Library Improvements - Birmingham AL
    The Civil Works Administration completed repairs and improvements at the Birmingham's East Lake Branch Library. The New Deal mural "Fairy Tale Scenes," painted by Carrie Hill, and commissioned by the Federal Art Project, is located in the children's room at the East Lake Branch Library.
  • Cumberland Falls State Resort Park: CCC Memorial Trail (Trail 4) - Corbin KY
    Trail 4 at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park is an interpretive trail, built by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees in 1933.  It is maintained by the park as a memorial to the CCC and is commemorated by a signboard at the trailhead.
  • Dugway Road Improvement - Clifton ID
    The Civil Workers Administration (CWA) improved a road into Clifton Basin located above the town about 4 miles. The overall length of the improved route was about a mile long and allowed a smoother, less steep, and less dangerous route into the National Forest lands of Clifton Basin and beyond. Presumably, part of the reason for the improved route was to make the harvesting of fuel for homes in the form of trees much more convenient. This project was awarded via the CWA as Clifton Wood Road Project 21 B1-15 in 1933.  
  • Library (former) - Willard OH
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) constructed a public library in Willard, Ohio. The building opened in Jan. 1934. The location and status of this facility, which has since been replaced, is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • School Improvements - Lynch NE
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted a project to improve the building and grounds of the school in Lynch, Nebraska, completed Jan. 1934. Norfolk Daily News, Jan. 10, 1934: "The interior of the school building has been repainted, revarnished and redecorated. The hill behind the building has been removed so that the school grounds will look nicer and can be landscaped. A deep trench has been dug around the grounds to lay open all winter and catch moisture. In the spring it is to be planted to shrubbery and trees."
  • East End Draining Project - East Liverpool OH
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted a project involving the "grading and draining of alleys in the district south of the Pennsylvania railroad" in the east end of East Liverpool, Ohio. Work was completed in Jan. 1934.
  • Johnson School (former) Renovations - Shawnee OK
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted a renovation project at what was then known as the Johnson school northwest of Shawnee, Oklahoma in 1933. The location and status of this facility is unknown to Living New Deal.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 100