- Yosemite National Park, CA
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Campgrounds and Cabins
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Conservation and Public Lands, Work Relief Programs, National Park Service (NPS)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completely reconstructed the public campgrounds at the head of Yosemite Valley, which are today known as the North, Upper and Lower Pines campgrounds.
There had long been camping all over Yosemite Valley, but it had been an unrestricted free-for-all with cars driving across meadows and people camping wherever they liked. The damage to the valley’s meadows and streams had been extensive before the National Park Service (NPS) brought a halt to the anarchy.
First, the NPS restricted camping to designated campgrounds at the head of the Valley in the late 1920s. It then implemented a new plan for individual campsites, known as the Meinecke system, which became the standard for the next half-century (before trailers became common, demanding larger spaces and hook-ups).
With the help of CCC labor, campsites were laid out with car parking, tent space, water supply, fire pits and picnic tables, plus comfort stations. Most of this work was done in 1940-41.
The Pines campgrounds have been renovated over the years, so it is unclear what, if any, traces remain of the CCC work.
(The Civil Works Administration (CWA) may also have done some work on these campgrounds in 1933-34)
John Broesamle book manuscript and interview, 2022.
Site originally submitted by John Broesamle on February 6, 2022.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
At this Location:
- Hetch Hetchy Dam and Reservoir Expansion - Yosemite National Park CA
- South Gate Entrance Station - Yosemite National Park CA
- Tioga Pass Comfort Station - Yosemite National Park CA
- Yosemite and Curry Village Improvements - Yosemite National Park CA
- Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center (former) - Yosemite National Park CA
- Tuolumne Meadows Campground Contact Station - Yosemite National Park CA
- Half Dome Climbing Cables Replacement - Yosemite National Park CA
- Tuolumne Meadows Campground - Yosemite National Park CA
- General Improvements - Yosemite National Park CA
- Tuolumne Meadows Campground Comfort Stations - Yosemite National Park CA
- Ostrander Ski Hut - Yosemite National Park CA
- Trail Improvement and Restoration - Yosemite National Park CA
- Seasonal and Stub CCC Camps - Yosemite National Park CA
- Tuolumne River Bridge - Yosemite National Park CA
- Fern Spring - Yosemite National Park CA
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site