- Weatherford, TX
- Site Type:
- Infrastructure and Utilities, Sidewalks and Stairs
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
A Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotment of $118,232 was approved in July 1939 for street improvements and additional sidewalks and gutter construction. A large sidewalk was constructed to access the Weatherford Municipal Power and Light plant, completed in 1940. The city had applied for PWA funding to construct the new electric plant, however, the plant was not approved due to lack of funds for a high number of projects submitted by Texas. The city constructed the new plant with revenue bond funds. The sidewalks leading to the building were stamped with Works Progress Administration. Both the sidewalks and the former power plant were demolished in March 2020.
Weatherford gets paving approval. (Jul 22, 1939). Fort Worth Star-Telegram, p. 1.
262 Aid requests returned to Regional PWA offices. (Sep 8, 1939). Forth Worth Star-Telegram, p. 17.
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 18, 2022.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site