- Bowling Green, KY
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Colleges and Universities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Western Kentucky University received money from the PWA for the construction of the Kentucky Building and of Cherry Hall in the late 1930s. WPA and PWA assistance also helped build a new music building.
Henry Hardin Cherry Hall, named in honor of the then-recently deceased president of Western Kentucky State Teachers College (now Western Kentucky University), was project number KY 1043-R of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The building was dedicated in September 1937, the month after Dr. Cherry’s death and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The architect was Brinton B. Davis. The contractor was Struck Construction Company.
Harrison, Lowell H. 2015. Western Kentucky University. University Press of Kentucky.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site