- Columbia, MO
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Schools, Colleges and Universities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
Walter Williams Hall is on the northeast side of the University of Missouri and the arch is the main entry to the historical quad of buildings that are the oldest on the campus.The structures were constructed from 1935-37 with PWA funding and designed by architectural consultants Jamieson & Spearl.
It is named after Walter Williams who was the creator of the first school of Journalism in 1908 and was the head of the Journalism School until 1930 when he became the president of the University of Missouri. The building was recently redone and still houses the school of Journalism.
Source notes"MU in Brick and Mortar" - https://umcspace.missouri.edu/historic/buildings/WalterWilliams/ https://umcspace.missouri.edu/historic/buildings/WalterWilliams/files/u_of_mo_building_dedication_program_1936.pdf https://umcspace.missouri.edu/historic/buildings/WalterWilliams/1935.htm
Site originally submitted by Charles Swaney on April 7, 2013.
At this Location:
- Stephens Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
- Townsend Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
- Curtis Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
- Gentry Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
- Crowder Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
- Gwynn Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site