- Mt Timpanogos, UT
- Site Type:
- Forestry and Agriculture, Ranger Stations
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Conservation and Public Lands, Work Relief Programs, US Forest Service (USFS)
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the South Fork Ranger Station on the Alpine Loop Road (Highway 92), near the intersection of Highway 144, in 1933-34.
The CCC enrollees who did the work were from Company 940 stationed in Camp F-5 at Granite Flat. The work was begun in the Summer of 1933 and a small CCC crew remained through the winter to finish work on the ranger station and the Timpanogos Cave trail and tunnel (Baldridge, p. 164).
This is one of around three dozen ranger stations built by the CCC across Utah in the 1930s (Roper 2021). South Fork Ranger Station is still intact, and appears to be in use, but is permanently closed to the public.
Baldridge, Kenneth. 2019. The Civilian Conservation Corps in Utah. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Roper, Roger. CCC Database. Utah State Historic Preservation Office. 3-29-2021.
Site originally submitted by Richard A Walker on July 31, 2021.
At this Location:
- Timpanogos Cave National Monument: Superintendent's Residence - Mount Timpanogos UT
- Timpanogos Cave National Monument: Cave Trail Extension - Mount Timpanogos UT
- Timpanogos Cave National Monument: Stone Bridge and River Walls - Mount Timpanogos UT
- Theater in the Pines (Aspen Grove) - Mount Timpanogos UT
- Mutual Dell Amphitheater - Mount Timpanogos UT
- Aspen Grove Camp Improvements - Mount Timpanogos UT
- Timpanogos Cave National Monument: Improvements - Mount Timpanogos UT
- CCC Camp F-5 (Granite Flat Campground) - Mount Timpanogos UT
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site