- Jonestown, MS
- Site Type:
- Schools, Education and Health
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works
- N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town
- B. W. Crawford
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
The Public Works Administration funded a 5-room addition to the Spanish-styled Jonestown school building, originally constructed c. 1918-1922. The project was W1151, approved 11/14/1935 for a loan of $7,000 and grant of $5,727. Contract was awarded 1/14/1936, construction begun 4.7.1936, and completed 7/16/1936. Final total cost was $13,146. Architects were N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town. Contractor was B. W. Crawford of Clarksdale. Work was completed by laborers from the Jonestown Relief Rolls. The school had Mississippi Landmark status when it was destroyed by fire in 2006. It had been undergoing renovations to use as a community center at the time of the fire.
Report No. 5, Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Region No. 3, Mississippi. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, January 3, 1940, p. 105.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Historic Resources Inventory, Jonestown Consolidated School. Retrieved from (www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=architectural).
"More state PWA work is okehed: Final approval is given to twelve more construction jobs." (Nov. 25, 1935). Clarion-Ledger.
Jonestown school building is completed; Splendid structure. (Jul. 7, 1936). Clarksdale Press-Register, p. 1.
Landmark school destroyed by fire. (Jul. 31, 2006). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on July 8, 2019.
|Federal Cost||Total Cost|
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site