- Ketchikan, Saxman, AK
- Site Type:
- Archaeology and History, Art Works, Sculptures, Historical Restoration
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Work Relief Programs
- Tlingit craftsmen
- Architect Linn A. Forrest (restoration)
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) relocated the Raven Posts from a village in Southeast Alaska to the newly established Saxman Totem Park. The CCC set up a totem restoration project in 1938 and Tlingit carvers enrolled in the CCC lead the work.
The photographic material published here by the Living New Deal was provided by courtesy of Linn A. Forrest (1905-1986), a practicing architect who photographed the totem poles at the time of their restoration, between 1939 and 1941. Forrest oversaw the joint program of the Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps to recruit Alaska native carvers in the restoration and recarving of totem poles throughout Southeast Alaska. Employed by the U.S. Forest Service in Oregon, Forrest transferred to Juneau, Alaska in 1937, where he undertook the totem restoration as one of his first projects. Under his supervision, indigenous carvers preserved and restored 103 totem poles and three Tlingit and Haida community houses. Forrest documented the restoration process and maintained notes and a photo record of a significant portion of the work. He used a Leica camera designed for the then new Kodachrome 35mm color slide format.
Garfield, Viola and Linn Forrest, 1961, The Wolf and the Raven, Seattle: University of Washington Press, p. 13-56.
Saxman Totem Park, National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, 1979, accessed July 1, 2017.
Site originally submitted by Linn Forrest and Steve Forrest on July 14, 2017.
At this Location:
- Saxman Totem Park, Secretary of State Pole (Seaward Pole) - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, Kats and His Bear Wife Totem - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, the Loon Tree - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, Dogfish Pole (Chief Ebbits) - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park: Owl Memorial Pole - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, The Grizzly Bear Post - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, Sun and Raven Totem Pole - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, Raven Pole - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, Raven and Frog Totem Pole - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, Memorials Of Eagle Tail House - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, Tired Wolf House Posts - Saxman AK
- Sixteen Frogs Breaker - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, the Beaver Posts - Saxman AK
- Saxman Totem Park, the Blackfish Pole - Saxman AK
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site