- Oakland, CA
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Schools
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Roosevelt High School (now Middle School) was originally opened in 1924 but was closed in 1934 (probably because of earthquake hazard) and replaced by temporary classrooms. It was then rebuilt by the Oakland Public Schools (Department of Architecture and Engineering) with aid from the Public Works Administration (PWA), reopening in 1937. The funding shares are unknown to us, as is the date on which construction began.
The Art Moderne building still stands. Like so many of today’s schools, it is entirely fenced off. An addition on the back covers up the old south facade and a new gymnasium has been added to the north. Reports in 2020 indicate that it will receive an upgrade if school bonds are approved.
Oakland Tribune, August 29, 1934, p. 1
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site