- Concord, NH
- Site Type:
- Infrastructure and Utilities, Roads, Bridges, and Tunnels, Sidewalks and Stairs
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Work Relief Programs, Public Works Administration (PWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), Civil Works Administration (CWA)
Municipal reports for the city of Concord report extensive New Deal road work throughout the 1930s.
In 1933, the PWA contributed almost $5,000 to improvements on South Main St., South State St., Pleasant St., Warren St. and School St. The same year, CWA funds were used for the construction of Runnells Road, Snow Pond Road, Sylvester St. and other work, including the removal of “about 500 hitching posts.” This sort of road work continued in 1934.
A 1938 town report describes extensive WPA help with municipal road projects. In 1939, the report explains more specifically that “the city received 468,000 man-hours of labor durng the past year. This labor was applied to a huge variety of useful permanent work. Other accomplishments include the replacement of ten culverts, three miles of road alignment, roadside beautification, 5,441 feet of street curb, 3,000 feet of reconstructed sidewalk and 1.600 feet of ashlar wall.” In 1940, the WPA set 5,762 feet of curbing and improved drainage on Clough Mill Road, Borough Road and Lake View Drive. Further WPA road work extended into 1941.
Source notesCity of Concord ANNUAL REPORT of the RECEIPTS and EXPENDITURES for the year ending DECEMBER 31, 1933 to 1942
Site originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on July 20, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site