- Fort Worth, TX
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Libraries
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
Fort Worth’s first library opened in 1901 thanks to a $50,000 donation from wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. By the late 1920’s the need for additional space became critical, but a bond issue for a larger library failed. When funds became available through the Public Works Administration in 1933, library supporters pushed to secure money for a new building. After years of wrangling with the city council and the PWA, the Carnegie Library was demolished, and the new library project was completed in June 1939 at a construction cost of $370,688 and a project cost of $390,861.
A new central library opened in 1978. The 1939 library was demolished in 1990.
PWA Docket No. TX W1217.
Source noteshttps://fortworthtexas.gov/library/info/default.aspx?id=5610 https://archive.org/stream/publicbuildingss00unitrich/publicbuildingss00unitrich_djvu.txt https://dart.org/news/news.asp?ID=338
Site originally submitted by Larry Moore on January 10, 2015.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site