- New Albany, MS
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Federal Facilities, Post Offices
- New Deal Agencies:
- Federal & Military Operations, Public Works Funding, Treasury Department, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- Louis A. Simon, Office of the Supervisng Architect of the Treasury
- Algernon Construction Co., Blair
The Colonial Revival post office building was constructed in 1936 by Blair, Algernon Construction Company. The building is currently used as the Union County Development Association Building.
The building contains a mural by Robert Cleaver Purdy, “Miliking Time,” which was completed and installed in 1939.
Source notesEmbree, J. (1996). "New Albany Downtown Historic District." Nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places. Fazio, M. W., Parrish, W. C., Blackwell, T., & Frank, C. (1979). "Four Building Act of 1926 Post Offices and Thirty Two Public Works Administration Post Offices Thematic Resources." Nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places. Mississippi Department of Archives & History. Historic Resources Inventory. "Old US Post Office, New Albany." Retrieved from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?id=19864&view=facts&y=657
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on March 8, 2014.
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site