- Graham, TX
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Federal Facilities, Post Offices
- New Deal Agencies:
- Federal & Military Operations, Treasury Department
- Louis A Simon - Supervising Architect
“Built in 1935-1936 at a cost of $60,000, this was the seventh and first long-term post office in Graham. It was one of a number of Depression-era federally funded projects built in the city. An excellent example of a Moderne style post office of the 1930s, the structure contains an intact mural by regional painter Alexandre Hogue. The edifice was designed by U.S. Treasury architect Louis A. Simon. Its distinctive features include decorative aluminum grillwork, sculptural metal lights and Zig-Zag Art Moderne stone friezes. The U.S. Postal operations were relocated to another site in 1992.”
(Texas Historical Commission)
Repurposed as a museum and art center.
Source noteshttps://www.texasescapes.com/TexasTowns/Graham-Texas/Graham-Post-Office.htm https://www.opomac.org/ https://texasfortstrail.com/plan-your-adventure/historic-sites-and-cities/sites/old-post-office-museum-art-center, accessed November 10, 2014. https://www.texasescapes.com/TexasTowns/Graham-Texas/Graham-Post-Office.htm, accessed November 10, 2014. Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: https://www.newdealartregistry.org/
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on February 17, 2013.
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site