- Pueblo, CO
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Infrastructure and Utilities, Cemeteries, Sidewalks and Stairs, Water Supply
- New Deal Agencies:
- Works Progress Administration (WPA), Work Relief Programs, Civil Works Administration (CWA)
Multiple New Deal agencies worked to develop and otherwise improve Pueblo, Colorado’s historic Mountain View Cemetery during the 1930s.
“Major improvements to the Mountain View Cemetery began with 1933-1934, CWA Projects. The CWA crews enclosed the ornamental iron fence on Beulah, Sprague and Northern Avenues within a cobblestone wall, built four large arched entrances on Northern Avenue and cobblestone walls around the cemetery and orphanage properties. This work was done in conjunction with other CWA and WPA, street, sidewalk and sewer improvement projects. They also remodeled the Sexton’s home and provided a small addition that served as the cemetery office.
WPA crews further improved the original cemetery with new irrigation piping, landscaping, concrete curbs around all the blocks, street paving and new lot markers. They also developed four new blocks of burial spaces (1-4) east of Acero Avenue and eight new blocks (5-12) between Acero and Prairie Avenues. These additions known as Annex #1 and Annex #2 were built to ensure reasonably priced public burial space would be available for those who could pay, and the City could continue to provide burial space for indigents and the less fortunate in future years.”
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 1, 2016.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site