- Lock Haven, PA
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Colleges and Universities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
Then known as the State Teachers College at Lock Haven, Lock Haven University benefited during the Great Depression from a large construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $194,680 grant for the project, whose final cost was $623,191. Construction occurred between February 1938 and July 1939. (PWA Docket No. [W]1857.)
Four buildings were constructed on the campus, including the facilities known as Thomas Field House, the Price Auditorium, and Sullivan Hall (originally constructed as a library; demolished 2015). A power plant, also constructed as part of this PWA project, has since too been demolished.
Source notesNational Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 36. "Public Works Administration", a Google Fusion Table by LaDale Winling, edited on March 15, 2011. https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=578234
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 29, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site