- Austin, TX
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Golf Courses
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
Lions Municipal Golf Course was constructed in 1924 for the Lions Club and has been operated by the City of Austin, Texas since 1937. The course was Austin’s first public golf course and is historically notable for being the first golf course south of the Mason-Dixon Line to racially integrate.
The Works Progress Administration approved a project for the installation of a sprinkling system on the greens and fairways of the golf course and other general improvements to the grounds. The project involved the expenditure of $9,538.70 of federal funds and $11,539.00 of city funds.
Source noteshttps://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=118410 https://www.savemuny.com/uploads/4/2/5/2/4252242/history_of_lions_municipal.pdf
Site originally submitted by Larry Moore on February 8, 2015.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site