- Redondo Beach, CA
- Site Type:
- Infrastructure and Utilities, Maritime: Harbors, Ports & Lighthouses
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Public Works Funding, Federal Works Agency (FWA)
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
- Partially Extant
In 1939 the Public Works Administration (PWA) funded a 2300-foot long, L-shaped breakwater in jutting out from the coast at Redondo Beach, California. It was constructed of rocks ferried over on barges from Catalina Island.
The Redondo Beach breakwater was supposed to be the first segment of a small boat harbor, but it was not until the 1950s when more government funding became available that the old PWA breakwater was extended south to become the present-day King Harbor.
"Redondo port plan boosted," Los Angeles Times, January 1, 1939
Site originally submitted by Douglas Thompson on May 8, 2023.
|Federal Cost||Total Cost|
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site