- Seattle, WA
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
"This clubhouse was built by the city of Seattle in connection with one of its public golf courses that are included in the city park and recreation areas.
The building has a small basement, a first floor, and a partial second floor. The heating plant occupies the basement; the first floor contains a spacious living room, locker rooms for men and women, a dining room, lunchroom, and kitchen facilities; and the second floor has quarters for the custodian.
The basement and first floors are concrete, but otherwise this building is frame with exterior brick veneer walls.
The project was completed in September 1936 at a construction cost of $29,225 and a project cost of $31,037."
(Short and Brown)
The clubhouse is currently being considered for demolition, but there is a movement to have it preserved as a historical landmark.
Source notesC.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939). https://www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods/preservation/documents/LPBCurrentNom_JeffersonPkClubhouse.pdf https://beaconhill.seattle.wa.us/
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site